• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding jacket?

Gary E

NAXJA Member #687
Well I have been wanting one for a while and have a big welding overhead job coming up and judging by my swiss cheese work sweaters, its time to get one. I am thinking about getting a leather one but what is up with these flame retardant cotton ones will they really with stand some nice hot slag running down on them? I live in hot CA so the cooler the better.

This is what I had in mind
Leather one

cotton one

Just make sure you can button the sleeves and the collar. The cotton ones work pretty good for the weekend warrior, while the leather lasts for years. Personally I like the cotton. It's cooler and you can work at odd angles easier. The other thing is either wear high top boots and put your jeans over them or get some shields to wear. Slag has a nasty way of always ending up in your shoes.

I can't stand cotton.

hot splatter will burn through. They are good for welding in a booth in a standing position in front of a benched workpiece. My production welders will wear these in the summer.

welding from underneath, you will want leather for sure. I used to laugh at "welding gear" a helmet and good gloves was all I ever needed. After some decent welders flash, splatter burns, and one too many hot bee-bees falling down ear canals, I will now wear earplugs when i weld, and throw on the leather jacket for overhead welding

if the cotton works just as well, just doesn't last as long, I would go that way. Only $16, how much is the leather one?

(but what do I know, I usually end up doing my welding in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops, even overhead :wierd: )

BrettM said:
if the cotton works just as well, just doesn't last as long, I would go that way. Only $16, how much is the leather one?

(but what do I know, I usually end up doing my welding in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops, even overhead :wierd: )
cotton simply does not work very well...like I said, its good for standing position, where splatter will usually sizzle off and down tot he floor...

not at all adequate for us weldin' jeepers, who commonly must perform overhead welding while lying on our backs....cotton will not stop splatter and slag.

leather jackets generally start at 50 bucks, good ones can go as high as a hundred bucks

I love my 2 piece leathers.
You can buy each seperately and in the summer, not having the bottom of the jacket is very smart. The top is $30 and I forget how much the bottom is.

is.php

Okie Terry said:
I love my 2 piece leathers.
You can buy each seperately and in the summer, not having the bottom of the jacket is very smart.
Aw crap. I just realized that that post reads like a J. Peterman catalog ad.

BTW, When I'm welding and the heat would normally be too intense, I can keep my cool in my new Urban Sombrero. It combines the spirit of old Mexico with a little big city panache.

Sombrero.jpg

Last edited:
What about the combination of cotton jacket and leather sleeves? Something like THIS

-Mike

Mike L said:
What about the combination of cotton jacket and leather sleeves? Something like THIS

-Mike
Like Beezil said. "not at all adequate for us weldin' jeepers, who commonly must perform overhead welding while lying on our backs....cotton will not stop splatter and slag. "

If you haven't experienced it yet, a molten ball of metal doesn't feel good when it rolls into the crevasses of the cotton jacket and burns through fabric just to come to rest on your armpit. Oh, and if there's already a hole in it from another time, new slag will find it's way to that hole and wreak havoc. It will happen.

Okie Terry said:
Like Beezil said. "not at all adequate for us weldin' jeepers, who commonly must perform overhead welding while lying on our backs....cotton will not stop splatter and slag. "

If you haven't experienced it yet, a molten ball of metal doesn't feel good when it rolls into the crevasses of the cotton jacket and burns through fabric just to come to rest on your armpit. Oh, and if there's already a hole in it from another time, new slag will find it's way to that hole and wreak havoc. It will happen.

LOL, I've had that happen when just welding with a cotton shirt on. I still have the burn mark by my armpit to prove it. I have welded with the combo jacket and have noticed that the slag just sits on the cotton but doesn't burn through. Maybe I am lucky I guess. When it does get holes in it, I will buy a jacket like yours so it isn't really hot when welding in summer months.

-Mike L.

Okie Terry said:

Showing off the rookie welder stuff.... Not even dirty?????? :rolleyes:

BTW glad you went leather! Had cotton thought it worked until I got leather! Even Kim knows leather is better! :D

hinkley

Leather is definately the way to go...not only does it protect from burns...it offers the best protection from the full spectrum radiation from a welding arc.
It may not be a real problem for hobbyists...but from years of mig and tig welding in short sleeves, i have become familiar with the dermatologist's liquid nitrogen.

I like the cotton elastic sleeves myself, have'nt worn my leather in years.....
split leathers are nice. "Ear Canal".......what???? Do we have magnets in there
or what??? I hate that!!!!!

Mark Hinkley said:

BTW glad you went leather! Had cotton thought it worked until I got leather! Even Kim knows leather is better! :D

hinkley
Yep they are new (X-mas to myself). Why do you think they're on my bed? Doesn't make them my first set. They're actually my third top set. Still on my original bottom half. Leather gets holes too. :rolleyes:

I was wondering when someone was going to hassle you about the new leathers. I guess they haven't seen you machine shop skills. You don't get there without having gotten burned and dirty a few times.:laugh3:

I agree with the Leather ,,, Everyone that welds where I work wear them All Year Long , And it dont get much HOTTER than in a Shipyard in Mississippi in the Summertime.....

Mark Hinkley said:

hinkley

Okie is full of shit and he knows it. Thats not a welding jacket! Its Vallies sexy half-top when they go to the bar for mechanical bull riding.

Okie, next time work a bit harder fortifying your welding e-persona.

and tell your wife to go shopping with kim. The two of them could put cattle on the protected list.

Back