• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover degreasing.....

I used that GTX Super clean,in purple jug to clean the cover on the 87.Pulled the baffles and let it soak for a day.
Wayne

I like to use electric parts cleaner. It degreases and dries very quickly without residue. Some brake cleaners (like Wal Mart brand) are the exact formula and are usually a dollar cheaper. Works on any petroleum crud that you want to remove. It works well for cleaning an area quickly to find a leak. No water needed.

Hmmmm, I just use either some gasoline or some kero...got enough bottles of 'stuff' on the shelves...or I grab some of my wifes spray pot & pan cleaner out of the kitchen...

I used dollar store brand degreaser with a little bit of improvement, works great on the light stuff

erikrs301-Where's Douglassville?

erikrs301 said:
I used oven cleaner and a scrubbie brush on mine

Gives it that nice unpainted bare steel look eh :laugh3:
Used the wifes hand spray pan cleaner to clean a fry pan I just used, noticed some grease on the vent over the stove so I gave it a quick wipe.. Holy crap !! had to make a quick trip to Home Depot for another one, that bare silver look didnt match the rest of the appliances, took that paint off slicker than snot... that was a quick $90 lesson on what NOT to use it on :D

Okie Terry said:
I like to use electric parts cleaner. It degreases and dries very quickly without residue. Some brake cleaners (like Wal Mart brand) are the exact formula and are usually a dollar cheaper. Works on any petroleum crud that you want to remove. It works well for cleaning an area quickly to find a leak. No water needed.

Yup. Degreaser of choice, tho, is Autozone housebrand carb cleaner. No residue, doesn't evaporate as quick as electrical cleaner, $1.29 a can, often on sale for .99.

I buy it 12 cans at a time, always keep some on the shelf.

Also works great as bug killer !!!

Back