• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

conflicting FSM torque numbers, waterpump

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
My FSM has two different torque values for the water pump on my 91 4.0L. In the installation section says 13 ft/lb, but at the end of the section it says 22 ft/lbs. Anyone know which to use? I torqued to 13 and have it all done except hoses, they'er on order from Jeep. Also, the thermostat housing has the same issue in the FSM. Could use help there also.

I think the value for my 88 XJ was 13 ft-lbs. I used the Chrysler gasket and the torque values were included on the instruction card which came with the gasket. I think the later 4.0 engine used 17 ft lbs but don't recall what years the higher value was called out.

I do remember I used my 250 in-lb torque wrench when I changed my water pump so there no way I could of set it to 22 ft lbs. I used a dealer gasket, torqued it to the value, nearly 3 years later still no problems.

Back