• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse lights

WV Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My reverse lights aren't working and I was wondering about the wires. Where do they run from and where do they go? I checked the bulbs already and they're fine. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Try rock the shift a little, if it's a auto, mine work somtimes when i do this. I would think that there is a switch in under shifter console. Probably needs a cleaning and adjustment.

For a manual, they are usually on the transmission.

I don't know any of this for a fact in a jeep. It's just my best guess.

may be a bad NSS, theyr'e real expensive but most of the time you can clean them up and they'll work fine. Search "threads" for instructions or PM me and i"ll dig up mine for you....of course don't overlook the obvious......fuse. Good luck.

If your shifter works but the reverse light dont come on its probably the NSS (nuetralsafety switch). It becomes gunked up from the inside and needs to be cleaned.

pete

Driver's side of the case, on the side, under the bleeder fittings, you'll find a two-pole switch. That's your reverse light switch. Check for continuity across the terminals with the shifter in "reverse".

OEMR part only - but you don't have to drain the case to change the thing. I've been through this before...

You can also apply 12V to the leads and see if the reverse lights come on to check the wiring itself.

5-90

Thanks! If all else fails I'll just mount a toggle switch (switch and wiring laying around), plus that'll give my wife another reason to complain why I'm always outside playing (breaking, lol). This is mainly just going to be used as a play toy/ hunting vehicle, just have to have them to get an inspection sticker.

Thanks, Jason

The switch sets high on the transmission on the passenger side. On the 5 speed I don't believe you can take it apart and clean it. I didn't have to drain the oil to change the switch on my 90 MJ 5 sp. It has two leads about a foot or so long. You can check continuity across the switch while in reverse. If the switch is bad, you can picked one at the junk yard for a couple of bucks. ($65 at autozone) There is another plug that goes up the fire wall on passenger side. I had a loose connection there and a bad switch.

I took the tail light off and connected 12v to make sure the lamps worked too.

good luck.

I don't know about the 88 in particular, but has the fuse been overlooked? My 92 has a fuse box under the hood. After installing hitch lights for reverse, I found the burnt fuse and replaced it. (Duh.) It was in a box behind the battery. I'm unsure if my old 88 had a similar fuse box.

I later had to clean the switch. :(
No regrets w/55w reverse lights. :)

Back