• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Width Axle question

EnderUSAF

NAXJA Forum User
Now I did my searches and found a few people on here currently running full width axles. From the looks of it most of the people went with a bronco 9"/D44 combo with radius arms. I myself would like to do a 9"/D44 combo, just cause I wanna keep it light. However I don't think I want to do the radius arm thing. Can I just cut the radius arm brackets off of the bronco axles and weld new brackets for my long arms? I've never really looked at the bronco axles so I don't really know. I found a set from a 78 bronco that's locked and ready to go, I was just trying to see what all I would have to do to make these fit my XJ. Also what other vehicles should I look into to find a 9"/D44 combo for my XJ? Thanks for the help.

I am using a 76 F-150 with mid lenght arms, I trimmed all the C bushing mounts off.

78-79 Bronco and F150 front axles have cast-in mounts and are not recommended if you plan to add your own mounts as the mounts are not removeable. '77 and earlier F150 Dana 44s have welded-on mounts. Get those. :)

Jeep on!
--Pete
comancheclub.com

Before you rule out radius arms, do some checking. They aren't that much different than long arms and the lack of flex depends on how you set them up. You can save some serious money by using radius arms.

i have a 72' f150(so says the guy) 44 with welded on wedges

EDIT:
78-79 Bronco and F150 front axles have cast-in mounts and are not recommended if you plan to add your own mounts as the mounts are not removeable. '77 and earlier F150 Dana 44s have welded-on mounts. Get those. :)

Jeep on!
--Pete
comancheclub.com

what he said

Jeepkid444 said:
so what year f 250 hp44s have the weld on wedges?

F250's have one spring perch that is cast into the housing. It's very soft cast iron that is easy to grind away. I know that '77.5 to '79 are this way, but not sure if it applies to other years.

Back