• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumpstop plate/lift block

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I want to build bumpstop plates similar to what DPG sells and was wondering if there would be adverse effects to placing the plate between the spring retainer plate and main leaf (to act as a short lift block) vs. bolting it over the top of the spring plate?

Recommendations on thickness of the plate?

karstic said:
I want to build bumpstop plates similar to what DPG sells and was wondering if there would be adverse effects to placing the plate between the spring retainer plate and main leaf (to act as a short lift block) vs. bolting it over the top of the spring plate?

I'm trying to picture it and I think you got it kind of wrong. Is the placement that you're thinking of as follows (from bottom up):
1. axle
2. spring
3. bumpstop plate
4. retainer plate

If so that bumpstop plate will not act as a lift block as it would have to be between the spring and the axle to do so, but in that position they do not really benefit you much as a bumpstop plate too much as they are almoston top of the axle (as in waaaaay down).

Anyways mine are built from 3/8" plate and so far they're holding up fine.

You're right my bad. I just drew it out on paper and I see what you mean. For some reason it didn't click with me when I was looking at it on the Jeep.

karstic said:

It doesnt matter if you put it above or below the retainer plate. It will still function the same to extend you bumpstops. If you put it between the springs and axle, it will act as a lift block.

just get some 1.5" square tubing (about a 14" section), drill some holes, get longer bolts, place the tubing between the frame and the rubber stop and your all set. I just did this this afternoon and its pretty good, ill post pictures tomorrw.

Back