• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil in my air filter, 4.0

gr8tires

NAXJA Forum User
Help, :wave:
I recently noticed that there is some oil getting into my air filter and box. It's an '88. 4.0, 160k.
Background: oil mail recently started leaking, but I use this as an extra car anyway.
I checked that both vent lines off the valve cover are clear(blew thru them).
More ideas???????

get use to it or put in a puke tube. You can clean out your valve cover and make sure the pcv lines are cleaned out. However, you will still get blowby. Doa search and you will find that this issue might have more posts than the dreaded TPS sensor.
BSD

Plug the hole in the side of the airbox where the smaller hose goes to the valve cover in the front. I used a piece of 5/8 heater hose about 2' long. On the end of that hose i attatched a really small chrome performance breather (looks like a K&N filter,but smaller, about 2" in diameter) on the end of that tube, and let it hang down to where the blowby oil can drip. I know it sounds a little messy, but it's better than ruining your air filter. It's really not that messy at all.

BSD said:
get use to it or put in a puke tube. You can clean out your valve cover and make sure the pcv lines are cleaned out. However, you will still get blowby. Doa search and you will find that this issue might have more posts than the dreaded TPS sensor.
BSD

"Puke tube?" How'd you do that?

Yeah - this "blowby" problem has posts like Carter's got pills. Most of the time, you'll end up changing the vacuum harness to get it all cleared out - it's two parts from the dealer, and I think all together it ran about $80 when I did it last time...

5-90

A puke tube is just disconnecting teh hose that comes from the cranckcase to teh air box and letting it empty into a small container. Of course, seal off the entry to the air box. SOme just vent it to the ground but that makes a mess. I jsut empty it every so often. I have to check it more in teh winter with the condensation that drops out of the engine. I too replaced teh vacum lines, cleaned out the hoses, and cleaned out the valve cover. While it did help some, I still had the problem.
BSD

Back