• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Mj Renix Spark Issue Need Help!!!

Caleb

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, my 87 MJ wont start, i have no spark, ive replaced cps, cap, wires, plugs, coil, swapped in another coil, and another ignition control module from a running 89' MJ and nothing gets me spark from the coil! Ive been hunting this for almost a month now, and am out of ideas, any input would be awesome!

Its an 87' MJ
2.5 TBI
4x4
5 Speed!

Also swapped ecu from the 89 in, and still no work!

About the only thing left is the camshaft position sensor that is mounted in the distributor.

As far as i know the 2.5 doesnt use the cam position sensor, there wasnt one there when i did the cap and rotor, and there is no connector for it

this may not help at all- Im not into the pre89s-
but- since the 89s did have the sensor in the distributor(an yours dosent?), wouldnt the brains from an 89 need it for the spark? same thing for the ECU under the coil you replaced...if its an 89....

I`d have to get one of those flow charts to actually check it, but it sounds worth looking into-maybe someone on here can furnish the smarts-Im out.

Not sure, i know that the 97 wrangler that i have thats going to go into it, has the sensor in the dizzy.

Heres what gets me, I downloaded the 88 FSM and it has a flow chart for testing a no start situation. It says that my CPS should be putting between 2 and 4 volts onto pins 11 and 28 of the ECM harness, how do they expect the CPS to output that voltage??

So i followed no, and it said check the resistence of the CPS mine ohmed out at 220 well within range, so i followed yes it says to check for continuity between the CPS connector and the ECM connector, this checked out good, next it says replace ECM. My problem with this is that if i replace the ecm and then go back through the steps im going to get the same thing, because the CPS isnt going to be putting out voltage on those wires :S

the donor 2.5 is from a 97 wrangler, ECM's are way different. But i did swap in the ECM from a buddies 89' MJ 2.5 2x4 5speed, and it didnt make a difference!

Well i put the meter on the corresponding pins to the ECU cranked it up, and its showing AC voltage of about .18 or .19 if i remeber correctly, and thats with a brand new CPS ohms out at 224 or right around there, give or take 3!

you should have the same reading from the crank sensor as you do at the ecu. the closest to .500 the better. sounds like there is some resistance in the harness. possibly loose or poor connections. you can hard wire the cps to the ecu with soldered connections

Back