• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Peeing noise?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I had to do an "emergency" oil change Sunday when it was 9* outside. All seemed to go as usual, except this time my hands were so cold that I dropped the filter and made a mess in the driveway. Anyway, now whenever I shut the engine off, I can hear a liquid (presumably the oil) draining somewhere (presumably into the oil pan). It sounds just like someone peeing into a toilet. No oil leaking that I can detect--there are some drips, but that is more due to my fumbling with the filter and getting oil all over everything in the area of the filter. What could be causing the draining noise? Maybe it's normal and I just never noticed this before?

Glad to hear it. I don't know why I never noticed it before. I usually notice every smell, sound, etc., so I'm kind of embarrassed to have asked such a simple question as that.

I heard the same thing the other day and i am glad i am not the only one. I figured it was just the access oil falling to the pan. I hate the whole 6 qts thing that gets expensive when you use Mobil 1.

I heard the same thing the other day and i am glad i am not the only one. I figured it was just the access oil falling to the pan. I hate the whole 6 qts thing that gets expensive when you use Mobil 1.

yep its a combination of oil going back in the pan and the fuel going back to the tank. Mine is real noisey when the tank is about 1/4 full. It scared the crap outta me when I first heard it ,crawled all under it, and finally figured it out.

There's a bunch of drunk elves in your oil pan, and they're all pissing when you turn off the engine. :wierd:

ZmOz said:
There's a bunch of drunk elves in your oil pan, and they're all pissing when you turn off the engine. :wierd:
I thought that "feature" was only available on KJs. No, really, thanks for confirming that it's normal. I honestly can't believe I'd never heard it before, or at least not this loudly. I'm wondering if it's louder because I added some Marvel's Mystery Oil this time. I'd been getting some tapping noise and read on another forum somewhere to try it. Whatever. As long as it's all right. Thanks, guys.

Timber said:
I thought that "feature" was only available on KJs.

Normally it is. You must have parked too close to one and the elves infected your XJ. :scared:

Funny this should come up. I noticed that sound only when I tried using a Fram oil filter. I don't normally use Fram but I had a buy one get two free coupon so, you know.
Anyway, after I switched back to Purolator Pure One oil filters, I don't hear that draining sound. I think it might have something to do with how well the anti-drain back valve thing in the filter works.

ACE said:
Funny this should come up. I noticed that sound only when I tried using a Fram oil filter. I don't normally use Fram but I had a buy one get two free coupon so, you know.
Anyway, after I switched back to Purolator Pure One oil filters, I don't hear that draining sound. I think it might have something to do with how well the anti-drain back valve thing in the filter works.

Even funnier is that the last oil change was the only time I EVER used a Fram filter. At ~2500 miles, my oil was black, hence the "emergency" change. I put a Bosch filter in this time. I thought it was considered a premium filter, but maybe it's allowing too much to drain back into the pan?

ACE said:
Thanks for the info ACE. I use Fram Tuff Guards, and hear the oil draining back all the time. Maby It's time for a brand change.

Frams are not worth their weight in dog feces. Please, do your engine a favor and never use them again. Open one up and see for yourself...cardboard in place of the metal everyone else uses.

ZmOz I new that the regular frams used cardboard but I thought the Tuff Guards used metal. But still I have heard some storys before, so I have been thinking of changing brands on my next change.

Back