• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken motor mount bolts

BIGTSV

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone else broke motor mount bolts on their 4.0? I love my jeep but the bolts Crysler used are horrible. the 3 bolts that hold the motor mount to the block totally sheered off yesterday. I was not off roading but driving down the road, I hit a dip in the road and the suspension compressed and snapped all 3 bolts on one side. I blame this on having the stock driveshaft, and the stock unit does not allow the shaft to compress.
If this has happend to anyone else what did you do to get the bolts removed from the block?
Thanks
BIGTSV
Columbus Ohio
WWW.BIGTSV.COM

This same exact thing happened to me on the passenger side about 4 years ago. I got a right angle drill and had enough room to drill them out and put new bolts in. I drilled the bolt and used an extractor and they came right out. Then went and bought new bolts. Hope this helps but the key for me was the right angle drill because my XXXX wouldnt fit.

Jimmy

if there is enough of it sticking out of the block you can also build up some weld on the end of the bolt till it clears the block the tack a nut to the build up .

I have had the same thing happen 3 times now. it is not loose bolts they snap off from the weight. One on a speed bump and 2 pot holes. trying stainless bolts this time.

hurtback said:
I have had the same thing happen 3 times now. it is not loose bolts they snap off from the weight. One on a speed bump and 2 pot holes. trying stainless bolts this time.
just use some grade 8, don't matter if they are stainless unless youlive in the salt belt

I had mine break off before. The reason mine broke was because of a broken motor mount. The bolts sheared off the block opposite the broken motor mount. Just giving you an idea of why it possibly happened. Good luck. :cheers:

-Mike

OH MAN... I had this happen to me 3 times to. Samething hit a pot hole and bang there they went. I finally got some M.O.R.E motor mounts. Haven't had any problems........ yet. I used a drill and easy out, worked great. The hardest part for me was fitting the drill in there. I wish I would have taken some pictures to show you. If you have any more questions I can help you out. Hope this helps.
James

I haven't had it happen, but I've heard about the bolts breaking. So, I did this so it never would.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Back