• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler line removal?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I have two leaky trans cooler lines on my XJ. I bought the lines from the rapists at Park since Napa couldnt get em, and the end on the pressure line has this crazy flare end with four little clips in it? I have never seen this before, so I am just curiuos if there is a certain tool I will need to remove the old one? Any help is appreciated.
josh

What year? On my 87 and my 89 they have (actually, "had") these little Ford-style clips where you just pinch the ears together with your fingers and pull the join apart.

Another Ford innovation was the "garter spring" clip, which requires little tools that slip into the connector and force the spring away from the inner part. If there are ears that protrude from the join, you should be able to pinch them together by hand and pull it apart, tho.

Make sure you have a reseal kit for each join, because the damn things tend to leak if you don't put new orings in...

5-90

5-90 said:
If there are ears that protrude from the join, you should be able to pinch them together by hand and pull it apart, tho.

5-90

this can be a bear to accomplish!!!!!
I had the lines off the vehicle and it took 2 people and a vise and pliers.
and as 5-90 stated, get a reseal kit.
also, there was a post I read recently, maybe in the modified section, about replacing the fittings with AN fittings.
you might do a search for that.

Yeah - that was me. Russell, Aeroquip, and Earl's (I think - I know one of them has these) makes adapters for M14x1.5 to -6AN - then you can use 3/8" push-on hose and -6AN fittings on the hose to go forward to the cooler.

You can keep the tubing stub that goes into the upper fitting and the QD on the lower to connect the hose, or just put in an external cooler and do it right. Either way, you really are better off getting rid of those QD fittings.

The ones by the above companies are all anodised aluminum, and I'm working on getting a batch made in brass - the weight difference doesn't matter too much t us, and I'd sooner have brass or CRES down there than aluminum alloy - I'm just cranky that way.

5-90

Back