• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack n tap

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i have heard good and bad things about them. I drive my xj around 20-35 miles a day i have about 7inchs of lift and no sye so im kinda not waiting to but alot of money into my 231 so i was thinking the hack n tap. So does anyone have problems with them?

I've got it. I purchased from Dirk (DPGoffroad) and also got the High Angle Driveline driveshaft. This kit was easy to install and I am by no means an advanced mechanic. I just followed everyone's advice and went slow with the installation and had no problems whatsever.

One week after the install I drove from San Jose, CA to Gulf Shores Alabama, then on up to Norfolk, VA and finally New York City a week after. No vibes, no problems at all. Best mod I've installed yet.

Oh and I am at 5.5" of lift with a np231 and a 8.25" rear. hope this helps.

I have problems with my H&T. I don't know if the T Case mainshaft is bent or something. Anyway I get bad vibes on the highway around 65. The driveshaft is fine. I actually unbalanced it with some hose clamps and it helped. I have an AA SYE kit to put in and I'll see if the vibes go away.

nate said:
I have problems with my H&T. I don't know if the T Case mainshaft is bent or something. Anyway I get bad vibes on the highway around 65. The driveshaft is fine. I actually unbalanced it with some hose clamps and it helped. I have an AA SYE kit to put in and I'll see if the vibes go away.

I have the exact same problem, I still need to buy an AA SYE to fix the problem

nate said:

Are you sure you cut the shaft straight?
I have had one for over a year, run 33", 4.88's, Detroits and have had no problems what so ever.

I've got a 95 with a 231 and was wondering, if I go with the H&T and take my time to do it right, about how much time do you think it should take to have the install completed?

well give yourself a couple of hours. For me, the cutting of the shaft took the longest amount of time. I also used two cut-off blades, first one broke. Drilling didn't take too long, maybe 20-30 minutes. I drilled a very small pilot hole and worked my way up to 3/8" very slowly. I must have used at least 5 different size drill bits to work my way up to the final diameter. Once the shaft was cut and the hole was drilled, tapping was a breeze. Use lots of cutting oil and you'll be happy.

My brother and I did this one evening after work. I did all the work, he just held the flashlight. In the daylight, its a one man job. Just helps to have someone else to ask if you are cutting and drilling straight. Don't worry, you do NOT have to cut or drill perfectly straight. also remember to drill slow, maybe at 200-300rpms.

Get yourself a centerdrill and you don't have to do the slow increase in drill size. Has a very sharp small tip to act as the center punch then a sharp tapered cutting edge to give you a good wide chamfer to keep your drill centered, does it all in one shot minus the drill and tap. Go slow with the tap and back it out a little, often. Plus lots of Tap Magic cutting fluid.

I've been running my hack'ntap now for over 2 years with 35's and NO issues. It's worked perfectly since day one. I had the machine shop next door make me a "tool" that slides over the end of the shaft after cutting,with a hole drilled in it (cut while on the lathe) so that I get the hole absolutely centered. I've installed several in friends rigs and customers and haven't had any problems.

John

Back