• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth it to go pass side drop?

JeepFreak21 said:
I'm already planning my next jeep and wondering if there's a good reason not to go passenger side drop. I don't care about cutting the floor and rerouting the exhaust... all the suspension/bracketry will be custom and I can save a bunch (over an atlas) by running a dana 300 unflipped. Am I missing anything?
Billy
I'm guessing that you are planning on running a chevy/chrysler front axle, but are you going to stick with the 4.0/aw4?
If yes, you might have to adjust the motor mounts so that the motor sits more on the drivers side, making room for your driveline to clear the starter
Secondly, whatever you do with the engine/tranny/t-case, your fuel lines are on the drivers side, meaning that you would need to insulate them if you were to put the exaust on that side.
HTH

crazyoffroader said:
I'm guessing that you are planning on running a chevy/chrysler front axle, but are you going to stick with the 4.0/aw4?
If yes, you might have to adjust the motor mounts so that the motor sits more on the drivers side, making room for your driveline to clear the starter
Secondly, whatever you do with the engine/tranny/t-case, your fuel lines are on the drivers side, meaning that you would need to insulate them if you were to put the exaust on that side.
HTH

You make some great points. I do plan on keeping the 4.0/aw4. Has anybody done it with this combo? How did it clear?
Thanks,
Billy

You are aware that a D300's low range isn't as low as a NP231, right? Also, to make it as strong as an Atlas would require a considerable amount of time and money not to mention the fact that the D300 would probably require a rebuld anyway.
All this for what? The ability to run a low pinnion front axle? What's the point?

Jes said:
You are aware that a D300's low range isn't as low as a NP231, right? Also, to make it as strong as an Atlas would require a considerable amount of time and money not to mention the fact that the D300 would probably require a rebuld anyway.
All this for what? The ability to run a low pinnion front axle? What's the point?

I'm not planning on running it stock. Building a 300 (right) is still cheaper than an atlas - especially if you don't flip it. You can argue a few extra pounds and small strength differences, but the main thing is... whenever I try to save for something that expensive, some money issue comes up when I get about 75% of the money and I have to start over. At least with the 300, I can collect parts for a while.
Thanks,
Billy

ChuckD said:
You could always just buy the D300 and just flip it. If you buy the parts in pieces, just amke the last one the flip kit.

I just don't understand a "flip kit". Take an antique and in order to use it in an application it wasn't designed for you use some backwoods booty fab parts to make it work? Kinda like putting leaf springs on the front of an XJ. :)

Unless you plan on getting a dana 60 pass drop, I'd say to stick to the driver drop because then you can run a hp 44 or hp 60 from a ford f series. Anything less than a dana 60 up front isn't worth going to pass side and having to deal with the exhaust, t-case, etc. I'd get a hp 44 or hp 60 depending on what your long range goals are if you want the 300, then flip it. OR get a Rocktrac (Rubicon t-case) or a built 231 from Advanced Adapters with the heavy duty chain, SYE, 4:1, but again that costs some big $ and not far from the cost of an Atlas.

I might have my hp44 5 lug with leafs (camper special) lockrite and ford 9" with detroit locker for sale soon. I have 2 full sets of spares f/r for my hp 30/44 and I haven't broken anything so I think I'll keep it how it is.
Troy

Last edited:
Jes said:
I just don't understand a "flip kit". Take an antique and in order to use it in an application it wasn't designed for you use some backwoods booty fab parts to make it work? Kinda like putting leaf springs on the front of an XJ. :)

Very true, but alot of that old stuff works and to keep the prices down from going to a Atlas (complete aftermarket) or running a 4 link up front on an axle swap people are keeping it simple by running leafs up front and doing the 300 flip. Plus dana 300 are very easy to find and cheap and a nice strong t-case. However, by the time you add up all the costs on making a t-case close to as strong as an Atlas, U should just get the Atlas and call it done.

Jes said:

So now we're not using parts in any application except for what it was designed for? :wierd:
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
So now we're not using parts in any application except for what it was designed for? :wierd:
Billy

No, now we're not using booty fab parts to these make these other parts work.

Please don't look too closely at the booty fab on my Jeep.

well running a pass drop front axle can be cheaper than running a ford 60. i know that chevy 60 axles are selling for less than ford 60s. i picked up a whole chevy 60 with 5.13 gears, steering, trash lok, drive flanges, and it had 1 run on it since it was rebuilt. The cost was $600. I got a free dana 300. given my situation i don't see how it makes sense to go driver drop/atlas.

If it was just about doing something the easy way, using all newer parts wouldn't we all be building new TJs with bolt on stuff?

did it on my XJ last year. Bunch of work, but not too bad. don't have to move the engine or anything. worked really well. go for it. dave

mall crawling heep said:
well running a pass drop front axle can be cheaper than running a ford 60. i know that chevy 60 axles are selling for less than ford 60s. i picked up a whole chevy 60 with 5.13 gears, steering, trash lok, drive flanges, and it had 1 run on it since it was rebuilt. The cost was $600. I got a free dana 300. given my situation i don't see how it makes sense to go driver drop/atlas.

If it was just about doing something the easy way, using all newer parts wouldn't we all be building new TJs with bolt on stuff?

Do Chevy 60's come in the high pinion flavor?
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
There must be a fine line between booty fab and a proven design. I haven't heard of too many problems with flipped 300's... have you guys?
Billy

Never seen a flipped Dana300. Have seen many broken Dana300s though, a couple front outputs, rear outputs, a case.

Back