• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too Much Oil

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I took my 4.0 XJ for an oil change yesterday and a new guy put in 6 quarts of oil rather than 5. My oil presssure guage is now pegged. While I suppose it would siphon off eventually I'm going to take it back today to have them make it right. Aside from damage to the guage, is there anything else I should worry about?

Anyone who wants to bust me for NOT changing my own oil in subzero weather, have a field day,..... but I'm only seeking constructive information.

Double check that they did not break your oil pressure sender (when swaping out the oil filter). A cracked sender will also peg the gage on some model years.
If it is cracked, a quick fix is a M10 screw until a new sender is obtained. Oil does not leak out of a cracked sender because of a thin membrane in the sender, but this can fail as I found out the hard way many years ago.

later,
ronnie

If you take it back and blame them for "too much oil" causing a high pressure you will look dumb. they will then turn around and say "hey look your sending unit is broken, we can fix that, for a fee!

4.0s SHOULD have 6 quarts of oil!

:twak:

a 4.0 SHOULD take 6 qts of oil

now, i wouldnt raise hell about that (its correct)

but i WOULD have them pay for a new sending unit (if they did in fact break it)

CaptTrev said:
a 4.0 SHOULD take 6 qts of oil

now, i wouldnt raise hell about that (its correct)

but i WOULD have them pay for a new sending unit (if they did in fact break it)

Definitely. That sender is about 30 bucks or more. Very easy to break during an oil change if one is clumsy. Make them buy you a new one.

Back