• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slack in steering

WV Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I just got an '88 XJ tonight and while I was test driving I noticed some slack in the steering (hopefully nothing serious). I was wondering what are some things to look for and check out. Like I mentioned in my first thread, I'm a newbie to Jeeps. So any/all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

WV Jeeper said:
I just got an '88 XJ tonight and while I was test driving I noticed some slack in the steering (hopefully nothing serious). I was wondering what are some things to look for and check out. Like I mentioned in my first thread, I'm a newbie to Jeeps. So any/all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

look at the universal joint in the steering colum between the fire wall and the steering box.. i have seen the bushings in the coupling go bad and allow for a bit of "unresponsiveness" in the steering effort..

It helps a lot if you have someone with you so that that person can wiggle the steering wheel while you get underneath and look. Have the wheel person move the wheel slowly back and forth just a few degrees, with power off, wheels on the ground, and start checking down the line for lost motion, starting with the u-joints in the steering column. There may be a little in the steering gear itself, but there shouldn't be much. A little bit will be present with power off but it should tighten up some when it's running. The sterring gear may also make a little clicking, but that's not necessarily bad with the power off. Sometimes bearing play in the output shaft of the steering box will cause slop, so make sure it isn't moving sideways before it starts to rotate. Then just keep looking at all the tie rod and drag link ends. Bad tie rods are usually pretty easy to spot if you jack up the front end and try steering by pushing on a wheel.

Dont forget the trac bar,frame mounted end known to go south.Tie rod end to pitman arm off steering box also needs a look.I got my '90 this way,eventually for piece of mind I replaced known bad parts and other front suspension bushings,tight as a drum now.

Back