• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No-Slip not engaging

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I've had the no-slip in my 8.25, 27 spline, for several months now. The other day it disengages and decides to not re-engage, at all. :mad:Now all of my drive is going to the right rear wheel. I can't get it to re-engage with any amount of wiggling or power. Jacked up the tires and the left on spins freely. When I spin the right one, the left spins but very slow and delayed. I can't even get out of my driveway without 4wd, just digs holes into the gravel. Serious Problem???? I planned on taking it apart tomorrow and checking the springs, I'm almost certain thats the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them. And how exactly did you fix it.

Thanks
-Joe

Cherokee91Red said:
Alright, I've had the no-slip in my 8.25, 27 spline, for several months now. The other day it disengages and decides to not re-engage, at all. :mad:Now all of my drive is going to the right rear wheel. I can't get it to re-engage with any amount of wiggling or power. Jacked up the tires and the left on spins freely. When I spin the right one, the left spins but very slow and delayed. I can't even get out of my driveway without 4wd, just digs holes into the gravel. Serious Problem???? I planned on taking it apart tomorrow and checking the springs, I'm almost certain thats the problem. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them. And how exactly did you fix it.

Thanks
-Joe

what specifically happened the other day that you noticed it "disengage" ?? i'm not familiar with the "no slip" but it sure sounds like something is broken though.. i'd pull it apart before you go anywhere else.. on the chance that it might be warranteed, but if you continue to drive on it while its malfunctioning thats likely going to make it worse.. and they won't cove rit.

I just had a member of my off roading club have something like that happen with a no-slip. He only had 1 wheel drive. It was a broken active spacer. It's a relatively small ring on the left side of the locker.

Might want to open the diff and see if there is any metal floating around.

Later,
Rough

what specifically happened the other day that you noticed it "disengage" ??
Nothing really, it had been working fine and I just noticed one time as I pulled away from a dead stop I didn't feel the left tire engage, usually I can feel it and the Jeep steers more straight. It drifts to the left now, with all the force in the back right it pushes it left.

I just fixed this on my no-slip tonight. I knew I broke an active spacer when I installed it but I thought it would work. And it did until one day and bang, one wheel drive. So I ordered and new one and new springs. I pulled out the locker and found that the right coupler and synchro ring teeth were not aligned. If you look in the directions it shows you how the couplers teeth are spaced with the synchro ring teeth. Mine were about 1/4" off. I used a screwdriver to rotate the synchro ring until the synchro teeth straddled the valley on the coupler.

D10, I pulled mine apart today and it was pretty much the same thing. The teeth on the driver's side had moved and therefore wouldn't line up to lock. But the kicker is, the little tab on the inside piece that holds the axle snapped right off. I'll try and link some pics when I get them on my computer. I don't think I have any record of sale anymore. Will powertrax still try and help me out with it or am I screwed? But I threw it all back in(without the broken piece of course) and it is working fine, just not sure how well its integrity is going to be.

-Joe

That's a pretty "common" part to break on a No-Slip. Richmond SHOULD stand behind it, but not having a record of sale may make it tough.
Good Luck.

Had the same thing happen on mine about 2 months ago. Richmond Gear shipped me a new locker. Customer communication and service were pathetic. It's not a company that I'll deal with in the future - except for future warranty work or replacement of their "no-slip" locker. Once they're out of the no-slip business or refuse to honour any future defects by way of warranty service, I'll put in a Detroit and get them to pay for it.

Back