• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum Brakes Loosening

XTrmXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This has been an on going issue with my 98 8.25, pushing 35s.. The drum brakes, about every month or so the brakes will loosen over the time period.. I thought the first time it was usuall wear because its so gradual I just thought it was time to replace them.. Well come to find out the brake pads are good and I have to keep adjusting the adjuster every month or two.. what gives? I use use anti-seize and and clean everything after a trail ride and everything is installed correct, Ive tried the backing up and slamming on the brakes and it doesnt work.. Does anyone run into the same problem? by the way I ran a search and I havent found anything about a reaccuring issue or anything out of the norm...

My 95 w/ 33's does the same thing! About every month too. I think these brakes just suck. I'm looking into doing a disc brake conversion in the spring.

I'm surprised a search didn't come up with anything. Those adjusters aren't very good, to put it mildly, but maybe others have just given up and gotten used to adjusting the brakes every month or two. It might be helpful to get new adjusters and pawls, because the old ones wear, and the teeth may not be catching. I mention that because recently I helped my son put all new parts in his 96 (he works for a parts place, gets 'em cheap), and it seemed to adjust quite nicely. I'm assuming that you have very carefully determined that you have not accidentally switched the adjusters right to left, and have checked to make sure someone before you didn't either.

Matthew Currie said:
I'm surprised a search didn't come up with anything. Those adjusters aren't very good, to put it mildly, but maybe others have just given up and gotten used to adjusting the brakes every month or two. It might be helpful to get new adjusters and pawls, because the old ones wear, and the teeth may not be catching. I mention that because recently I helped my son put all new parts in his 96 (he works for a parts place, gets 'em cheap), and it seemed to adjust quite nicely. I'm assuming that you have very carefully determined that you have not accidentally switched the adjusters right to left, and have checked to make sure someone before you didn't either.

I had changed them a out a while ago and I installed them properly the way they are soppose to be.. I just wasnt sure if it was common for them to loosen and if somone knew an easy way to fix the problem.. I will be going to disc whenever I get a chance but not sure when..

Back