• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering System Topics

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fellow Jeepers.... I have been away for quite a while and now I come back to dive the depths of your collective knowledge.... Well, I knew that my PS pump has been going bad for a while because of the noises. Then I noticed a wetness on side of the air cleaner box. It seems that the hose (pressure) had developed a pinhole leak and was doing a nice misting. I don't give too much of a flip because the fluid level did not seem to be dropping too rapidly. I bought all the parts and was waiting till the holiday break. Now I am almost there. Just another day or two and I will start swappin out parts... But I have one nagging question....

When I first start out and everything is cold, it seems like there is some 'slop' or 'slack' in the steering. There seems to be a lag and then a clunky jump (like it is catching up the slack) when I first turn the wheel. What I am wondering is if this is the dreaded 'steering box slop' that I have read about... ?? What causes it and what is the remedy? I know that there are reinforcing braces (brackets) and all that, but my machine has never been abused and only offroaded a few times. I really do not think that it is some cracking issue of the frame rail or anything like that. Do my described symptoms match any of you guys problems when you had steering box problems ?? I think it is just wear (slop) in the box itself .... Whadda ya think ?? What could be the cause of the 'sloppy, clunky, thumpy feeling when I first turn the wheel when it is cold??' TIA ......... Bill -93XJ

What I am wondering mainly, is why does this only happen when everything is cold? Any slack in the linkage would still be there when the parts are warm... am I missing something obvious ??

Did you ever find out what this problem was? My XJ is also doing the same thing .

Stephen Gibbs.

Check your belt tension. If the belt slips, it can cause "pump catch," which will feel similar to what you're getting. The pump takes a moment before it puts the boost to the steering, and it feels rubbery until it kind of jumps into action. My 87 used to do this when the belt got even a little under optimal tension. A bad pump might also be an issue.

Back