• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Vibration

alemmons

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and can't find anyone with quite the same problems. I have an 89 xj with 5" lift. Was driving great then yesterday it started making a little bit of vibration sounds from the front. Today the front end vibration is very noticable and constant. Doesn't matter how fast or slow I am going, always there except when braking. It goes away when I brake. I haven't been doing any four wheeling. I am not sure what to check. Just looking I don't see any problems, I am going to crawl under today and see what I can find. Hoping you guys can help me know where to focus my attention.

Do you have the disconnect style housing? Could be the driveline u-joints if yours doesn't. Also check the wheel bearings.

I do not have the disconnect front end. I should have described it a little different. It isn't really a vibration but a knocking sound. The speed increases as I acccelerate though. I was wondering if maybe it could be the ujoints. The wheels track straight and there is no vibration into the steering wheel. I hear it and can feel it in the floor board.

Definately go grab that driveline and check it. You can always pull it until you get the joints replaced.

Went out and climbed under my jeep. Checked everything I could find and everything was tight and looking good. Confused until I got out from under the jeep and started looking for anything else. The lug nuts on the front driver wheel were loose. Tightened every lug nut on my jeep and took it for a drive. Great once again. Thanks.

I would pull that wheel and take a look at the studs. They could very well need replaced now. Not a big deal to change them and it's better than having them break off because they were weakend by the wheel slopping around.

Response to Control Arms

I would love to help you, but just did the lift. Didn't get new control arms yet, so I can't help you. But there is a thread around here with a link to control arm lengths for lifts. I think it had to do with Rubicon Express.

Back