• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got a cage

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
It's been custom built by Dan Turner of Loose Nuts Enterprises. The whole cage is fully removeable (legs unbolt).
Anyways's here's the pics of it installed:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=te2xbqn.cgec1zmb&x=0&y=2ndfgb

And I'll get the pics of the build process and it being removed sometime tomorrow.

Btw, I was thinking about using the heater pipe insulation material (soft split tube stuff) to put on the tubes for cushoning. Any other suggestions on that?

pipe insulation is probably better then nothing but I wouldn't use it, the racing pipe foam is much better, although if a bare noggin hits either hard it's going to hurt.

Oh yeah, looks good, how does it bolt together?

Looks good Remi,
Does everything still work and is accesable? Like glove box, does rear seat still fold up and down? I notice you had to loose the visors. How about some pictures looking in from the side doors?

Looks good. Add one or two diagonal tubes in the b-pillar area, behind the front seats. Ya gotta have sideways triangulation to deal with rollover forces. Don't give me any of that "something is better than nothing" shit. just do it.

Beezil said:
Looks good. Add one or two diagonal tubes in the b-pillar area, behind the front seats. Ya gotta have sideways triangulation to deal with rollover forces. Don't give me any of that "something is better than nothing" shit. just do it.

The cage actually will be tied into the roof/body to stiffen things up. I'll have some pictures of that in a few days probably.

Beezil said:
thats great. Add diagonals into the b-pillar area.

OK, moving a bit past "just do it". The halo has an "X" in the middle which stiffens up the top. Also the legs are bolted to the floor and then they will be bolted down into the frame rail from underneath.
During a rollover I don't see the halo budging at all which holds the upper shape and helps spread the impact to the other legs. The fact that the legs will tie into the frame rail (which has 3/16" steel over it and is tied into the rock rails) should prevent them from moving.
Now how would the diagonals work differently? In essence I will have a "construct" which is tied to itself in all points which should prevent it from folding under (into) itself. I could see if I didn't tie the legs into the frame rail or if I didn't have the "X" in the center part of the halo how I would need the diagonals. Or am I overlooking something?

Kejtar said:
OK, moving a bit past "just do it". The halo has an "X" in the middle which stiffens up the top. Also the legs are bolted to the floor and then they will be bolted down into the frame rail from underneath.
During a rollover I don't see the halo budging at all which holds the upper shape and helps spread the impact to the other legs. The fact that the legs will tie into the frame rail (which has 3/16" steel over it and is tied into the rock rails) should prevent them from moving.
Now how would the diagonals work differently? In essence I will have a "construct" which is tied to itself in all points which should prevent it from folding under (into) itself. I could see if I didn't tie the legs into the frame rail or if I didn't have the "X" in the center part of the halo how I would need the diagonals. Or am I overlooking something?

Say it falls on it side. The entire top portion of the cage will try to push the opposite direction. Currently you have 6 verticle tubes that could easly bend and still allow that to happen. If you add the diag to the B pillar it would have to also push the opposite side floor mount sideways to move the halo over. Since yours is a 4-door you won't loose any kind of access by putting it there. Why as why? :D

Kejtar said:

sideways x or /

Kejtar said:

Goddam Remi, Beez knows what he's talking about. Get yourself a piece of bread. Remove the center leaving just the crust. Now stand it up & push it sideways.

-jb

Yep, without side triangulation this cage will do nothing for you.

I think / behind driver and \ on c-pillar is plenty.

Since vintage started the examples.

Take a piece of paper and fold it into a box. Then hold one side and push an opposite side corner. The box will turn into a parallelagram real easy.

Cut a piece of paper to go between opposite corners. Then try again. It has to pull one corner up to move the other sideways.

OK, I see where you guys are going with this, but during a rollower I don't see how you can have an impact that nails all three legs in the middle (and not as a whole side/surface contact/impact). The problem I am visualizing though consists of either of the top edges taking the impact (either along the drivers side or passenger side) and changing the square (cross section) into a rombus of sorts but then again the issue I'm looking at is how you'd have to fall to hit the edge as an edge along the whole edge without hitting one end first. Anyways I'll have to think on that one a bit, but it won't happen till tomorrow. It's been one long weekend.

Kejtar said:
OK, I see where you guys are going with this, but during a rollower I don't see how you can have an impact that nails all three legs in the middle (and not as a whole side/surface contact/impact). The problem I am visualizing though consists of either of the top edges taking the impact (either along the drivers side or passenger side) and changing the square (cross section) into a rombus of sorts but then again the issue I'm looking at is how you'd have to fall to hit the edge as an edge along the whole edge without hitting one end first. Anyways I'll have to think on that one a bit, but it won't happen till tomorrow. It's been one long weekend.

I agree. Just think of all those dumb engineers who went overboard designing bridges. They used all those / and X beams for no reason. Hell, you could make a couple of bridges out of all the junk they use for ONE!!!

Kejtar said:
The problem I am visualizing though consists of either of the top edges taking the impact (either along the drivers side or passenger side)...

It can happen much easier than you realize.

Roll that box over and look at the preasure points. At some point all of the weight will be on one corner.

I don't agree with all the talk that you have to have the cross braces to have a cage that will hold up. But they are not that much work to put in and in a 4-door they aren't that obtrusive. It's worth the few extra dollars to put in.

Ahh, just leave it out & throw it away when you rollover. :wave:

-jb

Ketchup,

Pool noodles are the only way to go.
Don't listen to Beezil or your rig might be as ugly as his.
Mike L doesn't know what he's talking about, it was "bad" air.

:D

hinkley

Back