• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differences between aw4 in an XJ and a ZJ

gipper

NAXJA Forum User
can you use a 1993 ZJ's AW4 in a 1993 XJ? They have the same spline counts and all, so it should be a bolt in affair, but are the electronics all the same? For that matter, are the electronics any different with regard to the transmission from 1991 to 2001 in the XJ aw4's?

I'm going to need to replace my AW4 and I'm trying to see what vehicles I can be watching for.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The only real electronic devices in the AW4 are the three solenoids and the NSS (which you should clean while you have the transmission out) - the control unit is under the dashboard. So, there isn't any real reason I can think of for the ZJ/AW4 to not work in the XJ.

Planning on having any spare parts? Anything I can, er, "relieve" you of? I'd not mind an extra set of solenoids and/or NSS, a pan (for mod experiments) and the sump strainer.

5-90

Three differences: earlier models had a .70 overdrive and later models has .75. Earlier models had a 21? spline and later models had a 23 spline. I don't know the year breaks though... maybe someone else will chime in...

There was an electronic change around 96; the TCU was changed in someway. I don't know the details other than you can't use the modification to isolate 1-2 gear and control your torque convertor lockup.

In other words, there are some differences, but I don't know the details well. :dunno:

Drewlee77 said:
Three differences: earlier models had a .70 overdrive and later models has .75. Earlier models had a 21? spline and later models had a 23 spline. I don't know the year breaks though... maybe someone else will chime in...

There was an electronic change around 96; the TCU was changed in someway. I don't know the details other than you can't use the modification to isolate 1-2 gear and control your torque convertor lockup.

In other words, there are some differences, but I don't know the details well. :dunno:

i believe the AW4 in the newer OBD-II XJs are controlled by the OBD-II ECM, or at least no longer have their independant control module anymore.. it's integrated into the ECM somehow.. not sure what year that came into play.

in 91 with the HO was the introduction of the 23 spline according to Novak. I'm just worried about the electronics.

So as long as I'm looking at an XJ model post 91 and up with one 02 sensor I'm looking good. thanks.

ZJ's used the 42RE for the 4.0, 44RE for the 5.2, and 46RE for the 5.9 liter engines. Unfortunately they never used the AW4

sidriptide said:
i believe the AW4 in the newer OBD-II XJs are controlled by the OBD-II ECM, or at least no longer have their independant control module anymore.. it's integrated into the ECM somehow.. not sure what year that came into play.

OBD-II hit the scene in '96.... I believe that was the change point too.

T

ummmmmm.....

why all the talk of 21 splines, and non-ho and all that crap?

DOES NOT APPLY.

that info is not useful, don't confuse this guy.

yes, the early zj's did use an aw-4.

I cannot see any reason why it would not work.

OBD II is definately not 94. I know it's between 95 and 97 and if the man up there says it's 96, then I'm sure that's right.

But the question still stands... Does anyone know if the OBD 1 v. OBD II changed the transmission itself any?

Back