• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshield breaks

kubtastic

NAXJA Forum User
Is it common for the windshield to develop a crack from the frame getting stressed? I seriously haven't wheeled at all after installing a lift - only jacked it up on framerails a few times - but I have developed a crack nearly a foot long originating from the front lower center of the windshield, mostly on the exterior. I have a single bad pit, but it's only nearby the crack. Can my comprehensive cover this? some extra windshield policy? thanks.

I've seen a lot of XJs get pretty twisted up, and haven't seen a windshield crack spontaneously yet.

xjoachim just made a claim in another thread that he broke one flexing. but there is no way it would happen just from jacking it, you might not be able to see if you jack it, but thats probably because you got it in you eye

the crack is probably from the heat from the defrosters versus cold weather outside, i've seen it a lot. I can't explain it, but i'm sure someone else here can. my 89 xj has it too. I would believe however, that it is possible to make the crack worse through wheelin/frame twisting; but that should not be able to put a crack into it.

jfiscus said:
the crack is probably from the heat from the defrosters versus cold weather outside, i've seen it a lot. I can't explain it, but i'm sure someone else here can. my 89 xj has it too. I would believe however, that it is possible to make the crack worse through wheelin/frame twisting; but that should not be able to put a crack into it.
I have owned several cars and endured some heavy Canadian prairie winters, and not only have I never seen this, but I have never even heard of it before now. I can't see how defrosters can crack a windshield even at -45c with 65mph winds.

I have a crack in my windshield. I was told it happend because I have some rust forming on the underside of the seal. Evidently, the rust has "heaved" enough that is started a crack in the glass. Like I said ... this is what I have been told about my situation from a local glass installer.

You made no mention of any rust problem, so this may not apply to you.

Les

It wasn't that cold when it broke. Although it got worse while it was snowing, it wasn't Canadian cold. I did have de-frost on high a couple times, but I'd think 15-30F isn't cold enough. Maybe the windshield just sucks.

i dont know, my dad works at a ski resort here in nor-cal. does alot of cold weather driving, and our ocl its only in the teens, and he has to put a new window in his truck every summer. no matter what he drives. they seem to all crack. dont know if its from the cold window and hot air hitting it, or what. and im talking brand new trucks. it seems common place up here in snow country to have your window crack.

kubtastic said:
Is it common for the windshield to develop a crack from the frame getting stressed? I seriously haven't wheeled at all after installing a lift - only jacked it up on framerails a few times - but I have developed a crack nearly a foot long originating from the front lower center of the windshield, mostly on the exterior. I have a single bad pit, but it's only nearby the crack. Can my comprehensive cover this? some extra windshield policy? thanks.

Live in Winnipeg... (read too bloody cold for words) I've seen the happen 4 times in vehicles while driving in them, have heard of it dozens of times in addition to that. It does happen all the time with enough temperature difference, the very cold windshield is plowing through very cold wind, the defroster heats through a couple vents in the middle of the window, this creates a very large temp difference in a couple planes accross the window. definately NOT good for tempered glass. Also the seal that holds the window in place gets stiffer at lower temps, and reduces the expansion and contraction it will take from the glass.

It will happen more often if:
- there are rock chips in the window
-there are scratches in the window
- any additional force is on the window (like a tweaked frame)

any old window is more succeptable, it can still happen on newer windows.... like the 2 year old window now in my XJ that cracked directly over the defroster on one of the first cold days.

Also once cracked, take it easy on the defroster, it will spead the crack VERY quickly

Back