• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeeper Synthetic Oil Question

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 89 Jeep Cherokee and have a question about switching it over to an oil such as 10-30 Mobil and some synth gear lube. It runs very well and I would like to keep it that way. Will it do any harm to the engine or cause it to start burning oil. I doesn't right now but I would like the added benifts of the syntheic lubricants.

I use synthetic lubes everywhere.
No problems.
BTW Mobil1 is not what it used to be, they changed the formulation.
Amsoil and Redline are still ester based unlike Mobil1 that no longer is.

falcon556 said:
BTW Mobil1 is not what it used to be, they changed the formulation.
Amsoil and Redline are still ester based unlike Mobil1 that no longer is.

What are the pros and cons of each - if not the same?

AngryDog said:
I just got a 89 Jeep Cherokee and have a question about switching it over to an oil such as 10-30 Mobil and some synth gear lube. It runs very well and I would like to keep it that way. Will it do any harm to the engine or cause it to start burning oil. I doesn't right now but I would like the added benifts of the syntheic lubricants.
Some have no problems, some do. My dad is an Amsoil rep so he got his XJ and put 10-30 in it right off the bat and all of a sudden his jeep leaked all over. He put back in dino oil and had no problems. Some will have problems, some won't. I am going to pick up my XJ on Friday and the first thing it is getting is a full amsoil treatment.

I switched from Dino oil to syn just before winter, I love it. In the cold mornings it just seems to crank easier.

By the way its on a 90' XJ with 165,000 miles.

bustednutz said:
Where can this info be found about Mobil 1 changing their formulation?
If it isn't Ester based, what is it?

Here is the story, the way I was told. Castrol came up with a synthetic oil that was petroleum based instead of ester, they rearanged petro oil molecules and synthesized their oil.
Mobil got pissed and sued Castrol claiming that their easily prodused the oil was not real synthetic. They lost the lawsuit and faced with a competition that can produce synthetic oil cheaper, they decided to do the same and start making their oil from petro base.
I was told this story from a few different sources and I think that it is essencially correct.
Amsoil and Redline use ester base, the rest don't. Their oils are supposed to be superior to the others.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
This page has a lot of info on oil.

Back