• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost for 60k mile service?

Wolf

NAXJA Forum User
Almost at 60k in my 00 XJ. Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much to expect to pay for the 60k mile service at the dealer? I think the only major item would be the tranny fluid/filter.

Sorry, no answer about cost, but make sure they use the correct tranny fluid. Here in Toledo, the dealers routinely screw up and just use ATF+3 in the AW4.

What filter? The metal one you don't replace? What do they do, remove the pan, replace the pan and refill. They drain and refill the transmission, that's all.
The best part of this club is that you can get the help to do it yourself. I'm at 100,000 miles and have never been in the dealers or any other shop.
Ask the shop how long it would take if you wait for the service. Then figure the time and parts and see how much you are being ripped off. Around here they want about $500.

I know a full service which includes flushing the tranny, oil system, cooling and other lubes costs about $300-$500. They hook the jeep up to a tranny flush machine and run it for about 20 minutes, then the same with the oil, hooks up to machine where cleaner is added to the oil, machine has a very fine filter in it and it runs about 20 min, then the oil is drained, adapter removed from the filter mount, new filter put on and system refilled. Next comes cooling, system is disconnected at top hose of radiator, two adapters are installed, hooked to machine and system is drained with a vacum, then refilled with new coolant. Some bigger systems will pull the old coolant out while the engine is running, add a cleaning type coolant which flushes the system, then it is vacum drained and refilled with new coolant.

I work at a shop here near L.A. and have to tell you...The dealer(and most shops) will screw you. Try to find someone near you who will help you do it yourself or can reccommend a FAIR shop. As for cost...it all depends on what you need done...Any bad belts, hoses, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, etc. will add up quickly! And most importantly!!! Find a shop who WILL DROP THE PAN AND REPLACE THE TRANNY FILTER! Fluid exchangers are a waste of time and a total rip off!

Sorry I'm not closer to you,

John

Wolf said:
Almost at 60k in my 00 XJ. Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much to expect to pay for the 60k mile service at the dealer? I think the only major item would be the tranny fluid/filter.

How about this - we'll link up one week-end and I'll show you how to do everything. You pay me what you think is fair for the knowledge. You save bucks later, since you know what needs doing. I'll also introduce you to my parts guys at the local (if it's a Saturday and Ugly Jim's working...)

The work itself isn't that hard to do - and it's easier if someone shows you. I'm near 85 and Camden...

5-90

5-90 said:
How about this - we'll link up one week-end and I'll show you how to do everything. You pay me what you think is fair for the knowledge. You save bucks later, since you know what needs doing. I'll also introduce you to my parts guys at the local (if it's a Saturday and Ugly Jim's working...)

The work itself isn't that hard to do - and it's easier if someone shows you. I'm near 85 and Camden...

5-90
Thanks, but it's not an issue of not knowing how to do the work, it's more that I'm lazy, tired with constantly working on cars, and I don't have a garage.
I checked my manual and aside from the basic oil/filter, plugs, and chassis lube, the only major service needed is the tranny fluid/filter. I've got a friend who works at a shop off Capt Expy, so I'll probably take it down there and have him do the tranny on the lift.

It's a strainer, not a filter. I've seen screen doors with a finer mesh - I think it's mainly meant to keep the suction inlet from sucking up parts.

The most you'd really have to do it clean the magnet every 100K or so, and even then only if you use your XJ really hard (hills, towing, stuff like that.) If you plan on doing that, you can save yourself the trouble and add a remote spin-on filter so you get some actual filtration happening.

Every time I've checked my AW4 "filters" there wan't anything in there - even blasting it out with carburettor cleaner would have been a waste of time. I don't even drop the pans anymore - just pull the plug, drain, and then refill.

Since my drain pan has a magnet to let fluid run over, I'll catch anything that poses a problem anyhow.

5-90

Back