• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serious Electrical Gremlins; any suggestions?

Holy_Hand_Grenade

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90' XJ 5spd with what appears to be all the options for power everything. Pwr locks, windows, cruise ctl, etc. About 3 weeks after I got the truck over a year ago now, the clutch master cylinder was leaking and I got it replaced after trying to troubleshoot for 3 weeks about why my clutch wasnt working :)

Since then, I've developed some serious electrical gremlins. I.E. blinkers only work if I "stand" on the fuse box....sometimes. Sometimes they work great. Windows will sometimes not go up unless I pull the flasher for turn signal and reseat it. A/C or Heat blower wont work due to poping fuses. Just wierd stuff like that

Now my question. Is there a way to just yank all the electrical from the fusebox back and just replace it or will this be yet another monumental hit to the ol' wallet

I already had plans to upgrade the battery cables. I was mostly wondering if this was a wiring harness that I could theoretically just buy and rewire everything clean-like.

BTW: I did clean, as best i could, the fuse box and replaced all the fuses of all the brake/clutch fluid that was down there with some electrical cleaner. But i'm still finding fuses that are getting corroded as though the brake fluid is still present.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way.

Holy_Handgrenade

**edited to correct spelling mistakes :)**

wish i could help...i have a breed of gremilins in my xj also. if i try to roll up the rear windows my cd player shuts off, or my lights stay on if i dont turn them off when the key is "on"....good luck!..ive kinda learned to live with it.

Sean

Check your fuse box for signs of clutch/hydraulic fluid on it. The manual XJs have a reputation for leaky clutch master cylinders. When they leak, the fluid will follow the operating rod and drip by the firewall, right on top of the fuse box. It might be possible to clean everything real good and coat all of the connections with dielectric grease.

The darned fluid in the clutch master cylinder (DOT 3) is mostly a kind of glycol (sugar). Think of it as trying to clean up spilled honey, solvent isn´t gonna do it. The best way to clean it, is with near boiling water, sprayed in there someway and repated many times. Water conducts electricity, sugar water conducts at least twice as good as regular water.
Just guessing, haven´t had to clean a fuse block yet. But did work for Coke for awhile on there production machinery, have a lot of experience with glycol and sugar. I´d unscrew the fuse block (so I could get to the back somewhat), spray really hot water in there with some rags to catch most of the run off or even a with a shop vac running while I was spraying. Spray and vacuum at the same time. A household spray celaner might work somewhat, but really hot water works best.
Unhook your battery and dry with air thoroughly, before hooking the battery back up. When everything is clean, check for melted plastic and black spade connectors. When the spade connectors turn black, they loose there spring and make poor contact.

from what you wrote, I`m guessing youve figured out that the fluid has eaten its way into the fuseblock and caused the problems- sometimes it takes months, sometimes years for it to happen...but it does. Im waiting on mine to self destruct now...been a few years and a few dot3 baths..could happen anytime.

I wouldnt try (if I read right) to replace wire by wire and figure in a new panel- it would be somewhat easier to get two new clamshell halves and do a wire by wire switchover starting from outside/underhood and moveing inside last.

although it can and has been done(both ways)- I`m sure its a huge pain to redo.

Get a can of electrical contact cleane, pull all the fuses, stuff a big towel under the fuse boxy and try to flush out all the cavities and contacts. I've seen pretty decent luck doing this.

I´ve been cleaning junction boxes, machines with hundreds of micro switches and connectors, heat exchangers, starters, brakes, alternators and others for decades with really hot water (and sometimes with mild dishwashing soap suds). Just avoid bearings and electronics. Solvents for grease and oil, soap for most everything else.
Just make sure, it´s rinsed and dried, before you fire it back up.
The esters in brake fluid might be solvent soluable, doubt the glycols are.

Back