• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still no 4 lo

ogg

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys
still trying to fig out my 4 lo prolbem
um....i'v adjusted linkage
works fine in 4 hi
and when in 4 lo its like its in nutreal....
when i go through the gears i get a slight whining noise in each one but no movement ....
its a 91 xj sport mp 231 tcase and i believe the ax 4/5 tranny....posablly(lol)...
this is a new hobby for me so if i sound silly its becouse im just learning as i go
thanks alot for all ur helps
its truly appericeated
ogg

you adjust it in 2H, when it´s sitting in the 2H detent. May take a little trial and error, just a little off, one way or the other, misses 4Lo. Check under your transfer shifter cover, just for the heck of it, my last shifting problem, turned out to be McDonalds Smurfs in the shifting mechanism (kids!).
Have heard, of shifting fork wear being a problem, never had that happen to me though.

Loosen the bolt that holds the rod and manually shift the T Case into 4Lo at the case itself (use pliers or whatever). Put the shift lever into the 4 lo position and tighten the adjusting bolt. See if that works.

See if you can shift it into the right gear with a cresent wrench (underneath) and see how the linkage lines up in 2H and 4Lo. Have heard of the pads on the shifting fork wearing, haven´t had the problem myself, just something I read on the boards.
But I´d try the easy stuff first. If it´s all the way into the 4Lo detent (probably gonna have to check with the shift linkage disconnected) and you still don´t get 4Lo, could be internal.
The other day my son shifted the wifes, transfer into 4Lo, couldn´t get it back into 2H, stayed in 4H. I exercised it through the transfer gears few times, a little forword and reverse action, it works fine now. Sometimes they just need to used more often.
Got mine stuck in 4H once, took quite awhile to get it to pop out again.
Check the bushings in the linkage (underneath), mine are still pretty tight (16 years old), but can guess it could be a problem, if they were loose or worn.
Take a look under the cover and check for popped welds or a bent bracket (in the cab), have seen this on the auto shifter, could also be a possible problem with the transfer I´d guess.

Back