• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in cab

kellen

NAXJA Forum User
Water inside cab

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its an 89 4 door XJ. Basically the interior under the carpet is soaked, w/ puddles building up. From reading forums, I know that it is prob due to:
-windshield seal
-rust hole
-door seal
-heater core - doesn't smell like coolant, so can I rule it out??
-antenna plug

Anyone have anymore that I can add to my list to check? Someone else told me that in the back where the pivot is on the rear seat, that weld into the tub can crack, causing water to come in. Anyone had this?

Finally to fix this, I was going to pull the seats, console & carpet, dry it out, fix the rust (if any, live in WA) and depending on what I found, either herc or por15 the inside. Anyone done this, then put the carpet back on?? Anyone have a great way to dry the carpet?? Is hercing over small rust holes, after ridding the rust, going to be fine?? Anything cheaper than herc I can use and trust.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated by people who have had to diagnose this problem.

Thanks,

Kellen

If you want to dry out the carpet, pull it, use a wet dry vac and hang it in your garage for a few days. It'll dry out on it's own..

If the water is contained to the pax side, you could add A/C evaperator to your list. I believe in the XJ of your vintage they were behind the glove box.

kellen said:
Water inside cab

I have an 89, and we (popeye and i) cut out the rust, put something similar to por15 on everything we could, put in the 18 ga ( I think) sheet metal, fiberglassed over that, then finished with the herc over it all, with rubber coating stuff from a can underneath to get into some of the areas I couldn't quite get the herc in as well as I'd like. Shrug, it's been fine ever since and that was back in 2003...
Then again, it waited until AFTER the internal cage was installed to let go with the heater core. Living in WA, you'll have to be aggressive in keeping rust at bay. Ft. Lewis ate my truck up :p Here in utah, we're in a drought, though the salt trucks don't help, so if you come to Moab, smuggle me in an ice cube or something.

I’ve had good luck with DupliColor bed liner. You can get it at Wal-Mart in a spray can, pint or gal containers and costs about half as much as Herculiner. I just wire brushed the rust off as much as I could, wiped it down with a rag and sprayed it. If you were wanting sound deadening qualities I’d use the rubberized under body coating. That stuff comes in spray cans at Wal-Mart and is pretty cheap too.

Back