• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remonving 9" shafts?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I am having a hard time with my 9". I am doing gears on it and I can't get the shafts out. I have the 4 retaining nuts off on both sides and I can't get them to come out. My manual just says that it may take "considerable force" to remove them. Does anybody have any hints?

I read that putting your tires/rims on backwards b/f will work to give you enough leverage to get them out, you use them as a slide hammer. I never did it, but I need to replace the passenger side axle seal, so I'll try it soon enough. Get yourself some mechanic gloves, I don't have any either, but have been eyeing them for awhile now. They are nice and will keep your hands from getting too bloody. I see some people wear them to wheel, those guys are kind of pansy because they don't want to get caluses. :laugh3: but wrenching can give you blood knuckes fast.
Troy

The bearings are siezed in place by rust/corrosion....you just need a heavier slide hammer....I made my own with a long slide so I can get some momentum on the hammer. When you reassemble it...buff out the rust with a scotchbrite pad and wipe the housing with neverseize before reassembling.

MudDawg said:
The bearings are siezed in place by rust/corrosion....you just need a heavier slide hammer....I made my own with a long slide so I can get some momentum on the hammer. When you reassemble it...buff out the rust with a scotchbrite pad and wipe the housing with neverseize before reassembling.

Yep, Had a 76 Bronco, & had the same Problem & used the method above. To prevent future trouble, switch to tapererd bearings.

Rob

Back