• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing under the hood grounds....

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question on the grounds under the hood not in the wiring harness. Going to do the battery to block then chassis or vice versa, battery to starter, then firewall to head. Is there any other grounds under the hood i missed or should be looking at?

Using welding leads for the heavy grounds, 10 guage wire for the others, soldering all connectors and battery post clamp to the wires.

Thanks,

Cory

I saw something interesting on "Two Guys Garage' they were doing a camaro and mounting the battery in the trunk. One thing Sam said was 'don't use welding cable as battery cables' he did not elaborate or add any other comments besides that. Sure would like to know why....

RichP said:
I saw something interesting on "Two Guys Garage' they were doing a camaro and mounting the battery in the trunk. One thing Sam said was 'don't use welding cable as battery cables' he did not elaborate or add any other comments besides that. Sure would like to know why....

I wonder who paid them to say that? I learned about using welder cable for batteries from my granddad, who probably learned it from Gawd Himself - I've been doing it for every vehicle I've owned, and he's probably done it for the last 60 years or so - both of us without incident...

Sorry - I'll have to stick to my welder cable for this...

5-90

5-90 said:
I wonder who paid them to say that? I learned about using welder cable for batteries from my granddad, who probably learned it from Gawd Himself - I've been doing it for every vehicle I've owned, and he's probably done it for the last 60 years or so - both of us without incident...

Sorry - I'll have to stick to my welder cable for this...

5-90
I second that, the high-strand count in welding cable makes it ideal for battery use.

dothedew24_7 said:
I second that, the high-strand count in welding cable makes it ideal for battery use.

To me, not a big deal but I was curious why he said that, why would he care either way...unless you welding cable types are taking business away from the battery cable people somhow....
:laugh3:

The existing chassis to battery, battery to block, and cylinder head to firewall grounding cables are barely adequate. I added additional grounds from block to firewall and from cylinder head to battery to complete the grounding circuit. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace that skinny grounding strap from head to firewall with a proper cable.

i do a lot of 12/24/32 volt wiring on boats and I always try to use the best wire available

for the small stuff (18-8) I use only "boat cable" or tinned copper....more, thinner and more flexible strands, and higher corrosion resistance

for biger battery/starter cables etc I always like to use welding cable, for all of the reasons above

heavier gauge plain jane copper wire is VERY tough, brittle and more susceptible to corrosion

welding cable all the way
(i re-did my jeep wiring with a combination of 2/0 and 3/0 welding cable!)

yeah its a little overkill, but I like it

i JUST thought of this after I posted.....

why doesnt someone email this question in to those guy on TV?

i watch that show a fair amount, and they are good about answering emails i think

Back