• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have pics of stock XJ's with really aggressive stock sized tires?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to lift my Jeep and put bigger tires on, or just keep it the stock height, beef up some suspension components, and get more aggresive tires that are close to the 225/70/16's I have now.

Anyone have pics of stock sized MT/R's, BFG AT's or MT's, Swampers, etc?

Also, if I keep the stock tire size and don't lift my XJ and maybe put on some discos in the front, will I still have good offroad capability?

You should have 225/75R15s stock, but I don't think MT/Rs are made that small.

I had those wheels and switched to 15" wheels and put on 30X9.5 15 MTR's. Go to Tirerack.com, I think they have a tire size to inches diameter converter. Your 16's are really close to 30" . Metric (P225) tires are alot more expensive than inch (30x9.5) tires, $180 ea vs. $135 ea. You will have to look a bit but some Mud or AT tires do come in 29" sizes also. I have a little lift on my XJ.

bump.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the 29x10.5" Swamper trXus STS tires on my 86 MJ. My sis previously had them on her TJ. They are reasonably quiet but with a bit more vibration that my old BFG allterrains. They are about the same height as the 30" BFGs too.
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com

76924279.jpg

Speaking of the ol' BFGs, here an old shot of them on my 88 back when it was 2wd.

48680693.jpg

You could just run a bb 2" spacers/block or shackles in the back and run some 31x10.50x15" tires. It would look pretty good like that. Like people said, the metric tires and are not worth the extra $ when for a small amount of $ you can bump up your XJ a little and fit some nice easy to find 31" tires. They also have a much better resale value as people can relate to the size better.

As to your second question: yes you would have a very capable truck. Most of your capability is going to come from the driver rather than the truck anyway.

Here's our '89 with 235/75R15 BF M/T's on stock suspension.
581343_23_full.jpg

Most people are absolutely amazed at the places you can take an un-lifted XJ with a decent set of tires.

You can fit 235/70 R16 with out rubbing and that tire size is fairly cheap compared to others because of the volume, that size is common on Ford Escapes and others. Dunlop has Mud Rovers in that size that look nice.

Here's our '01 Limited, stock w/ Upcountry suspension and 30x9.5 Mud Kings on older 15" aluminum Jeep rims.

details.php

Edit: I guess Skorpyo's site doesn't allow linking. Oh well. Right click, go to properties and put in the URL directly.

nosajwp said:
... will I still have good offroad capability?

taller tires = more axle clearance = gooder offroad capability :)

taller tires = need for more lift = more chassis clearance = more gooder offroad capability :)

Back