• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seaking 4.0/4.2 stroker web site

tinker

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently involved in an attempt to combine my 4.2 out of my 82 cj7, and a 4.0 out of an 89 xj I purchased for this stroker build. I would like a web site or detailed information on this build. If you respond be prepared for lots of questions!

Thanks in advance
Ken

tinker said:
I'm currently involved in an attempt to combine my 4.2 out of my 82 cj7, and a 4.0 out of an 89 xj I purchased for this stroker build. I would like a web site or detailed information on this build. If you respond be prepared for lots of questions!

Thanks in advance
Ken

..and I'll be ready to answer them. :D

258hp@4800/320lbft@3100-3500, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.9secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Thanks everyone for the links. I have been going through them and they look like what I need.

Thanks again, and if you think of another site please let me know.
Ken

Dino.......If I purchase a head from a 93xj, what if anything would I need to put this on my 4.0, and would I need the multiport fuel injection from the 93xj as well as the computer. Is it worth the differance in performance between the non-HO and the HO? The stroker that I would like to build is the 250hp engine!
Next question is - How complicated is it going to get putting the stroker engine into my 82 CJ7? Electrical connections and wiring ect.

Thanks
Ken

tinker said:
Dino.......If I purchase a head from a 93xj, what if anything would I need to put this on my 4.0, and would I need the multiport fuel injection from the 93xj as well as the computer. Is it worth the differance in performance between the non-HO and the HO? The stroker that I would like to build is the 250hp engine!
Next question is - How complicated is it going to get putting the stroker engine into my 82 CJ7? Electrical connections and wiring ect.

Thanks
Ken

If you get the '93 head, I suggest you also get the '93 intake manifold and TB. You can port n' polish the head and bore the TB to gain a few more ponies. Keep your existing '89 fuel rail, sensors, wiring harness, and computer for simplicity, but you'll need to adapt your TPS to the HO TB. A set of Ford 24lb injectors and a MAP adjuster will take care of the fuelling.
If you're going to swap the stroker into your CJ rather than the XJ, the job becomes much more complex. You'll need to grab the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel rail, intake manifold, TB, sensors, wiring harness, computer, exhaust manifold, distributor, and coil, as well as the engine from the '93 XJ donor vehicle.

Dr. Dyno said:
If you get the '93 head, I suggest you also get the '93 intake manifold and TB. You can port n' polish the head and bore the TB to gain a few more ponies. Keep your existing '89 fuel rail, sensors, wiring harness, and computer for simplicity, but you'll need to adapt your TPS to the HO TB. A set of Ford 24lb injectors and a MAP adjuster will take care of the fuelling.
If you're going to swap the stroker into your CJ rather than the XJ, the job becomes much more complex. You'll need to grab the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel rail, intake manifold, TB, sensors, wiring harness, computer, exhaust manifold, distributor, and coil, as well as the engine from the '93 XJ donor vehicle.

Well Dino I guess that narrows it down some. I have a donner vehicle and all I'm really after is to get the CJ to stop flooding on steep angle climbs, like to have a little more HP, but I'll have to see what I can do with the 89's 4.0L. I'm starting to like this xj, I think later I'll build up a late 90's model xj.
The systems from the 89xj won't work with the head off of the 93xj in the cj?
What will I have to do to the head(4.0L HO)to get it to work on the 4.0L(non-HO)?

Thanks
Ken

Last edited:
Dr. Dyno said:
Keep your existing '89 fuel rail, sensors, wiring harness, and computer for simplicity, but you'll need to adapt your TPS to the HO TB.

I agree with everything but the '89 fuel rail. It will not bolt up to a HO manifold and I found it was just easier to get the HO fuel rail to go with the intake and redo the fuel lines.

kunaji said:
I agree with everything but the '89 fuel rail. It will not bolt up to a HO manifold and I found it was just easier to get the HO fuel rail to go with the intake and redo the fuel lines.
I'm going Monday to pull the head, intake, fuel Injectors, rail and TB.
Question-Will the wiring connect up, that is the 89xj's to the 93xj's fuel injectors and sensors?
Also will I need to grab the ECU(SBEC) and replace my current ECU(Renix) with it, and would I then need to do wiring changes to install the ECU from the 93xj?

Thanks
Ken

Back