• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modline vs. CSF

Modline or CSF?

• Modline

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • CSF

Votes: 37 50.0%

• Total voters

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I cant decide what radiator to go with. I want to go with either one of there because I have heard so much good stuff about them. I dont want the GDI because I have heard to much bad stuff about them. Help me decide guys..

Napa - Modline - 2 Core - $207+Tax
CSF - 3 Core - $155+Shipping

Get the CSF 3 row. It is so awesome. I just finished putting mine in after my stock radiator broke and I love it. It was really easy to install and this was the 1st time I have changed out a radiator. It is well worth the $ and fits great, not too wide or anything even though it is a 3 row. I have 3 other jeeps and if they need a radiator I will look to get another CSF 3 row. I got it through DSI, I think it was.
Troy

I found a guy selling Modine radiators on ebay and he only wanted about $125. He wasn't advertising a radiator specifically for my vehicle. You can find someone selling a lot of radiators and can ask them about one for your application.

2 vs. 3? I'll take the two, bigger tubes, more flow. Modine. CSF seems to make good rads though as I know Dirk likes them but I don't buy the three smaller tubes vs. two bigger tubes and the three cooling better.

bzdel2441 said:
Do you mean DPG? I have never heard of anything called DSI.

Yeah, that's them. I talked to the owner, Dirk convinced me to get it. I'm happy I did. I just had a little problem screwing on the tranny cooler line, but I wrenched a nut on their thread stud fitting and after I did this a few times, I was able to get my tranny hose fitting to thread on it. What are you leaning towards at this point, I know alot of people told me to get the Modine 2 row, but I talked to Dirk at DPG and he talked me into the CSF 3 row. It is a huge improvement over the stock radiator in weight, construction, capacity etc etc. :)
Troy

Never tried CSF but have used modine rads for many years, never had any problems with them. Bought a new rad for my sons YJ last year from 1800radiator and it was POS, had to modify the fan shroud and tack the mounting brackest back on the top of the tank. Replaced rads in my S10, celebrity, dodge aries and always used modines...

Chris, I can get you a much better deal on that Modine and get it in under an hour. PM me or give me a call at the shop, you got the #. Or we can talk about it Friday when you come down. I prefer the Modine 2 row to the cheaper 3 rows.

John

I thought the CSF 3 row had the same sized tubes as the Modine 2 row and only the GDI 3 row had the small tubes.

When I tow jet skis up steep grades to the mountian lakes on hot summer days, my 3 row GDI can ocassionally overheat with the AC on but when hooked up to the wife's XJ with 2 row Modine, no problems at all.

I was planning on replacing my GDI with the large 3 row CSF if the tubes are the same size as the 2 row Modine. Anyone know for sure???

I had a all metal CSF disintegrate in less then 2 years in my mother's Saturn. Couldn't tell if it or a hose was leaking so I had it tested. The radiator turned into swiss cheese when they tested it and a substancial amount of brass and copper powder came out of it. I replaced that one with a plastic tank Modine, no problems since, that was about 3 years ago.

About a year ago I put an all metal 2 core Modine in my XJ for $115. All this winter I've had about 2/3s of the rad. covered with card board in order to keep the engine temp up.

Just my 2.2 cents.

--Matt

I recently put in a CSF and it is fine. The quality is good, and it was an easy swap.

The problem with all radiators these days is you really do not know what you are getting till you have it. Modines are great radiators but they have several manufacturing plants and the cheapies usually come from one of the less reliable places. The CSF is no thicker than a Modine so I would agree that the Modine would have 2 thicker rows than the 3 thiner, but for the price I have yet to hear anything bad about the CSF.

One comment. If you do have the CSF or get one. Remove the strap that goes right infront of the fan clutch. Do it before the fan clutch gets it and eats the radiator (guess how I know:).

Both are great radiators.

Michael

2xtreme said:
One comment. If you do have the CSF or get one. Remove the strap that goes right infront of the fan clutch. Do it before the fan clutch gets it and eats the radiator (guess how I know:).

Michael

The strap will only get tagged by the fan if the motor mounts are loose/worn. Radiator replacement should always consider/include motor mounts at the same time.

2xtreme said:
...Modines are great radiators but they have several manufacturing plants and the cheapies usually come from one of the less reliable places.

I didn't buy a cheapie, it just helps to buy it from the distributor.

--Matt

just to let everyone know.... Modine is (as of next month) not going to sell any more aftermarket Radiators.....
they are switching primarily to OE products... the name modine will no longer be out there for aftermarket stuff cuz they sold that portion of their business

O and if anyone needs one...
i found a place that sells em for $162 :wave:
theyre based out of Riverside Ca

yes, in following another thread I need one! Can you send or post the info? The place I called has a 2 core listed on their website as pn 2345, but when I called he said that was for a Ford and that I needed pn 2245. Thanks!

If anyone is interested, i can get CSF's for these prices.
NON H.O 3 row =140
NON H.O. 2 row = 95
+ 10 Shipping
H.O. 3 row 140
+ 10 Shipping
Radiators are all metal and are C.S.F.
P.M. me For more info.

Last edited:
Back