• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone run RE3.5" without vibes

ecrogers

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up an RE 3.5" superflex with full leaf packs for my 2000 XJ after thorough research. In the last two days I have seen several threads where 2000 owners had major vibration problems with this kit. I'm not quite ready to do an SYE and D/S but I want to put the lift on between X-mas and New Years. After new years it is back to being a DD so I am worried about putting the lift on and not being able to drive the thing.

Does anyone own have a 2000 with the 3.5" superflex kit and no vibrations. If so what is your setup? Any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

I plan on having shims on hand and have a 3/4" t-case drop in case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

You most likely will need something. I have not seen any of the newer models run lifts w/o vibes. I ran close to 5.5" w/o vibes on a 93 2 door. But as soon as I went to 8", I needed shims, SYE, and t-case drop. It would have been easier to cut and re-weld the spring perches. For 3.5" just a t-case drop should work, did for a buddy of mine. If you do end up going with the drop, I suggest the sky jacker, it will save lots of pain when it comes to removing crossmember studs. With this kit they stay, I wish I'd of known that before. Good luck.

I got the RE3.5" with add-a-leaf and made some 4 degree shims for my 99 and no vibes. I actually had minor vibes with my RE 2" kit, but the shims helped a great deal to correct the pinion angle on my 3.5" kit. I'm sure that the full leaf packs you will be getting will give you more lift than my add-a-leaf though. I hear some settle at around 5" while my add-a-leaf is closer to 3". Just be prepared for the worst if it is your daily driver.
-Dave

I put that exact kit in my 91 and fabbed my own 3/4" TC Drop. Without degree shims I do have vibes.

which rear axel do you have. with an 8.25 you are more likely to have vibes then with a 35 because the 35 is hp and the 8.25 is lp. Another thing is alot of people ahve gotten alot more then 3.5 inches of lift from the re 3.5 inch kit, i remeber hearing some people getting close to 5 inches

I have a 2000 xj also. I installed the RE 3.5" super ride kit w/full leaf packs in the rear. The total lift was closer to 5" and looks great, but I could barely go 5mph without horable vibrations . The stock drive shaft is pretty far out on the transfer case output shaft. I suspect that is where most of the vibes are coming from (also the pinion angle is off slightly). I tried shims of various degrees. They helped some, but I still can't go over 30mph without alot of vibration. I'm getting ready to do the hack & tap SYE and a new drive shaft.

Hope that helps some!

catyrpelius said:
which rear axel do you have. with an 8.25 you are more likely to have vibes then with a 35 because the 35 is hp and the 8.25 is lp. Another thing is alot of people ahve gotten alot more then 3.5 inches of lift from the re 3.5 inch kit, i remeber hearing some people getting close to 5 inches
Yea, Your lift will be closer to 5". I've had mine on since July and it hasen't settled a bit yet.

Just a hunch but if you have over 40k or have done some really agressive off roading, Check your track bar. If it is loose then you could get some badddd Ghost Vibes from it!!

I have installed two of these RE lifts in my daughters' XJs. The 1997 model works perfectly without any vibes. The other is a 2001 and it has some vibes at speed. It did develope death wobble but tightening up the track bar took care of that. So I replaced it with a new heavy duty JKS/ORGS track bar. The vibes it did have can be attributed to the front D30 that is low pinion. I added a Warn front hub disconnect kit to the front and all the vibes disappeared. The 1997 model has the high pinion front D30 and is really smooth. Neither of these XJs have the SYE kit as they haven't needed it. They both have been wheeled extensively in Moab, including Pritchett Canyon, Hell's Gate, etc. I think that a SYE is a good idea however, even tho the girls haven't needed them.
I have been impressed with the quality and longevity of this RE lift kit. I don't like the front sway bar disconnects they provide as they aren't as easy to use as the JKS model.

Can anyone give me a basic list of things to check if I get the lift on and have bad vibes? Not "bad vibes" I'm sure I won't have those once I get the lift on...you know what I mean.

Just a basic idea of what to check, and what I might need to buy.

Thanks

Danno said:
I have installed two of these RE lifts in my daughters' XJs. The 1997 model works perfectly without any vibes. The other is a 2001 and it has some vibes at speed. It did develope death wobble but tightening up the track bar took care of that. So I replaced it with a new heavy duty JKS/ORGS track bar. The vibes it did have can be attributed to the front D30 that is low pinion. I added a Warn front hub disconnect kit to the front and all the vibes disappeared. The 1997 model has the high pinion front D30 and is really smooth. Neither of these XJs have the SYE kit as they haven't needed it. They both have been wheeled extensively in Moab, including Pritchett Canyon, Hell's Gate, etc. I think that a SYE is a good idea however, even tho the girls haven't needed them.
I have been impressed with the quality and longevity of this RE lift kit. I don't like the front sway bar disconnects they provide as they aren't as easy to use as the JKS model.

Thanks Danno, I'm starting to feel better about this.

1) What parts, other than shims and t-case drop, do you think I should pick up to make this as flawless a setup as possible. I have some money left but would rather hold onto it unless there are any really helpful addtions to this kit (JKS Track bar, front hub disconnect, anything for the rear?)

2) I didn't get the disconnects with the lift, I am looking at getting JKS, do I need to put these on right away or can I add them later?

3) Also, any tools that would make the job easier other than standard sockets, drill, jack, jackstands, hammer...
Thanks for your help!

you don't need any special tools. I did use a high jack to get the body up a bit. I'd install the lift and then worry about the vibes. I haven't needed to install any trans drop bracket either. If you have a low front pinion then you will get some front vibes.

Mine's fine on my 89' with 31's. The newer xjs after 96' had a diff t-case cone so they are more prone to vibes. Just drop it with the spacers and/or get the RE kit that replaces the yoke/cone. This is about all you can do without going to a SYE kit. It is $75 or so from RE, both should be under or close to $100. If you plan to go higher later, get a good SYE heavy duty kit.
Troy

Danno said:
you don't need any special tools. I did use a high jack to get the body up a bit. I'd install the lift and then worry about the vibes. I haven't needed to install any trans drop bracket either. If you have a low front pinion then you will get some front vibes.

Where did you you order the front disconnect and how much was it?

Danno said:

Where did you get your warn hub disconnect and how much would I be looking at spending? Also, it seems like a trackbar may be a good idea, what are good brands for their price?

Thanks,
Eric

i have a 2001 and a 1.5 inch t case drop and i still get vibes when i go over 60 mph. The lift isnt even full packs its only 3 inch AAL so the fulls will net about an inch more. You are definetly looking to get some vibes even with the 1.5 inch drop put in. Its not severe, but over time it will become it when your t case gets fed up and the vibes kick its a$$. For a temp fix, the 1.5 seems to work alright for the time. I definetly wouldnt run this set up with a lot of flex though because the slip yoke moves a lot when i flex and is close to comin off.

If you decide to do a transfer case drop, I highly recommend Rusty's high clearance transfercase crossmember with the 1" drop. You get the 1" drop, it has more clearance than the stock crossmember, and its stronger. Just my experience. Later.

Back