• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 won't go in 1st

Smokey

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and couldn't find it, although I'm guessing tps or tcu ??

Lately, the trans doesn't go into 1st after I come to a stop. It seems to do it more once it's up to full temp. Like at lights or stop signs, when I leave the line, I'm in 2nd. If I give it a bunch of throttle, usually, it'll drop into 1st with a thump. (these things have enough torque that it really doesn't seem to mind and acceleration is still decent, but it can't be good for longevity...).

Also, it's taken to intermittently giving my some serious SLAM shifts, usually 1-2, sometimes 2-3, and sometimes some HARD downshifts. Same issue ??

I do have a monster tranny cooler already, and it seems to run okay tempature wise. I'll get a gauge soon. What temps an I looking for on average ?? I've heard that just under 200* over ambient temperature is good- anyone know how accurate this is ??

Thanks for any help.
smokey

As you mentioned, I would go with checking the TPS first. After that, I would check the solenoids in the tranny. Lastly, check the TCU. I am not sure - do a search on this - but I think one can disconnect teh TCU and it defaults to a certain set up. Perhaps this to might help determine if it is mechanical or electrical.
BSD

lemonparty.jpg

Hmmm, think maybe a solenoid is bad ??

I disconnected the tcu, should have defaulted to 1/3/4, correct ?? The only change I got was I had absolute control over 2 and 3, but still no 1st or 4th.

So I reconnected the tcu, same 2/3 only again.

Then, magically, it's goes back to normal shifting. For about 5 minutes.

This morning, started off 2/3 only, got OD on the highway after 15minutes, but then back to 2/3 again.

Bad solenoid ??

Thanks for any help.
smokey

Guys... I ain't feeling the love !!! This can't be too-tuff for the guru's of XJ's :D !!!

Anyway, a little more info always helps, so here's a little more info...

So got home (gave me OD part of the way home ), pulled and cleaned all the connectors, top and bottom, and no change.

Pulled the tcu again and same thing- still no first (or fourth).

96 TPS isn't adjustable, but I seriously don't think that's it, because:

I guess this means I've got a bad solenoid. I found this chart while searching for an answer, and according to the chart, my #2 solenoid won't disengage. That's the only thing I can see that will give me the exact symptoms I'm having. It's stuck. Maybe some trash in it ??

SOL1 SOL2
1st 1 0
2nd 1 1
3rd 0 1
OD 0 0

1=on/0=off

Does this sound right ??

What can I expect when I pull the valvebody (besides a mess). Are the solenoids removable, servicable, replaceable ?? Possible to clean them ??

Again, I appreciate any help I can get here.
smokey

Back