• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter problem..

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
stupid starter won't run over. Turn the key and nothing. So I got the rebuild kit and replaced the brushes, bendix, cleaned it up and greased it. Seemed to work. Next morning went ot start it and nothing. Tap the body with a hammer and it starts fine. So this goes on for about a week and today I got a replacement solinoid and put that in. Seemed to wrok fine. Then this eving went out, turned the key and nothing. Tap it with a hammer and it starts right up. What is the problem? The connections are good, I cleaned them and made sure the were tight on the solinoid.

Sounds like what's going on with mine; starter itself is freezing up.

Any idea what causes it? I thought masybe water gettting inside since it seems to do it only when it's colder outside and has been sitting for awhile, but when I took it apart I greased just about everything to help keep the moisture out and decrease the friction. Since the starters is most magnetic I didn't figure grease would hurt to much stuff.

Rough up your commutator and brushes lightly with a 3 M pad. Make sure there is no oil or grease on the part the brushes rides on.
The solenoid connection, the main starter cable or even a grounding problem. Clean all your connections and grounds up good, sure won´t hurt anything and may help.
Only seen it once, but had a starter that was covered in oil, the bolts were covered in oil and the starter mount was covered in oil. Starter worked sometimes, till I cleaned everything up. Kind of thing that will drive you nuts.
I had one that spun but wouldn´t engauge the teeth, something in the Bendix, I never did figure out, a microscopic burr or something.
I rarley turn in my cores, I rebuild them and keep them on the shelf, for emergencies, I have a couple of spares.
The field windings (in the case) and the aramture windings (the part that turns) raley mess up. Might be worth an ohm test for shorts/continuity, when all else fails.
Never known water to hurt much, except maybe to promote rust and jamming, but mud or anything that gets under the brushes will mess you up. Sand or mud stuck to the Bendix will sometimes jam up the Bendix so the teeth don´t engauge, rust in the solenoid plunger.
There is an overrunning clutch in there, that will allow the shaft to spin without turning the teeth, that occasional screws up. Hard to notice on a bench test, starter needs a load, to make the clutch slip. Doesn´t sound like what you are experiencing though.

Last edited:
I may have not got it clean enough then. It was covered in oil, had an oil leak from the adapter. I thought I ran enough brake bluid through it to clean it off, maybe not. I don't belive I got any grease or oil where the brushes spin but something I can check out. Everything else seems to be fine. Thanks

Back