• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many have actually broken a Super 35

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I was wondering how many who have installed and used the Super 35 kits have actually broken them.I have searched here and can't seem to find any threads of people breaking them, just of people saying they are a waste of money, etc.Would like to hear the situation and tire size when it broke.Thanks..............Chris

What is the cost of the Super 35? You can usually find a xj D44 drum to drum for $300-$400. Disk brakes can be added for a few hundred more. Add a locker and alloy shafts and you are about the same price for a proven axle.

Just curious about your thoughts.

Dirk Pitt said:
What is the cost of the Super 35? You can usually find a xj D44 drum to drum for $300-$400. Disk brakes can be added for a few hundred more. Add a locker and alloy shafts and you are about the same price for a proven axle.

Just curious about your thoughts.

Personally I installed mine before I new any better, new about NAXJA, or much about modifying XJ's period.So in my case I was nieve and without a computer to research.:confused1
I just took the advice of the friendly folks down at ORGS (Post Hinkley) that said for 33's and moderate offroading it would be fine.

So now I just wanted to hear from others that for whatever their reason for putting one on, have used them and broke them.Down the road when I'm ready to step up to 35's I'm leaning towards a True Hi9, but untill then I am interested to see how hard people have actually pushed these Super 35's so I can get a ballpark picture of what they can take.

did u get a housing truss? i bent my housing on my d35... and that is what killed it. Mine wasnt a super, but that would have been killed a super as well, bent housing = bent shaft = Bad for roatating pieces = broken axle shaft...

the real question is -

How many people have purchased the super 35 kit?

XJ_ranger said:
How many people have purchased the super 35 kit?

Thats a good question too.I know Farmer Matt said one of the guys wheelin with them this year in Johnson Valley had one, but he never mentioned it breaking or if it was trussed.Mines not trussed, I was going to get superiors bolt
on truss at the time, but they ended up never making one for the XJ.T&J has a weld on truss they do for these and say alot of the Jeep Speed guys have success with em, but for the price they want.....well.......thats a 44 right there almost.

cloudswimmer said:
Thats a good question too.I know Farmer Matt said one of the guys wheelin with them this year in Johnson Valley had one, but he never mentioned it breaking or if it was trussed.Mines not trussed, I was going to get superiors bolt
on truss at the time, but they ended up never making one for the XJ.T&J has a weld on truss they do for these and say alot of the Jeep Speed guys have success with em, but for the price they want.....well.......thats a 44 right there almost.

FM was talking about Porch Puppy, but he doesn't wheel much! :D

Porch Puppy said:
I'm running the super 35 with a truss,33s and have not broke...But I don't wheel much.
Andy

Yeah those pics of you at Sledgehammer look pretty mellow Porchpuppy :speepin:

:D

Guess you're the one Matt was refering to

don't know about cloud's thoughts, but the 35 is already there and you will be getting a NEW setup. or you could buy a used d44. both still have drums and crap axle tubes. i would like a 44 myself, but find me one with gears, locker and axles for cheap and maybe it would be worth it.

setup #1
junkyard D44: $300 (cheap)
SSBC brakes: $895 (can be homebrewed a lot cheaper)
R&P: $244 (with install kit, www.jeepline.com)
Detroit Locker: $562 (4wheel Parts)
TOTAL: $2001

setup #2 (stronger than stock D44)
junkyard D44: $300 (cheap)
SSBC brakes: $895 (can be homebrewed a lot cheaper)
R&P: $244 (with install kit, www.jeepline.com)
super44 kit: $999 (with Detroit, www.jeepline.com)
TOTAL: $2438

setup #2 (nearly as strong as stock D44)
existing d35 $free! (cheap)
SSBC disk brakes: $710
R&P: $244
super30 kit: $899
TOTAL: $1853

setup #3 (nearly as strong as setup #1)
junkyard Ford 8.8: $300
new brakes: ~$200 (Kragen: pads/rotors, could be done cheaper, but this is new like the SSBC)
R&P: $244 (assuming prices are similar to Jeepline's)
Detroit Locker: $716 (4wheel Parts)
setup: $150 (having perches welded on, new flange, brake line/proportioning valve setup)
TOTAL: $1610

setup #4 (as strong as or stronger than #1)
same as above but with
Moser Axles: $249 (www.thefordsource.com)
TOTAL: $1859

OR, you could buy a pre-made axle from Currie or Sam's offroad:
Sam's: $3645 w/ brackets and brake setup

My personal favorite is the 8.8. I would add a girdle, c-clip eliminator and use an Auburn ECTED (the deciding factor, this is one of the few applications so far). I could even add some BADASS brakes, not just SSBCs stock style setup. Also I could weld the tubes to the housing and add a truss. All this could be done for less than $3000 I believe. My only gripe is losing track width, but with big tires and less backspacing on aftermarket wheels, it's negligible.

Now I'm dreaming...

PapaPump said:
don't know about cloud's thoughts, but the 35 is already there and you will be getting a NEW setup. or you could buy a used d44. both still have drums and crap axle tubes. i would like a 44 myself, but find me one with gears, locker and axles for cheap and maybe it would be worth it.

Well I just talked to Dave at Dave Turner Motorsports, and he said he could TIG weld up a truss for me for about $400.00.Thats me driving it down there, him doing everything, me picking it up and driving it home.Its my only ride so I don't have a way to take the axel off, strip it down, and drive it over which I know would be cheaper.Would this be money well spent considering I've already done what I've done (Super 35) or should I just use it as it is till it breaks?I certainly don't run as hard as Porchpuppy, but I do drive alot up dry washes near last chance canyon doing my gold prospecting, almost always solo. Do any of you guys know Dave?

Chris

Nice breakdown PapaPump! With the xj having leafs in the back, there is no reason not to spend the $ some would on the Super 35 when you can get a xj dana 44 bolt in, 29 spline 8.25 (97+) bolt in, or a 95'+ 8.8 and have much better axles for less $. With the 35, you still have the weak tubes, housing, r&p, C-clips etc. plus it has drum brakes anyways. Get a ford 8.8 for cheap and easy to find and then you have something worth putting some $ into. Many people with TJs and ZJs might be getting the Super 35 due to the coil and 4 link back there, but now at least the TJs have a 44 from the factory, whereas the ZJ guys have a dana 44 from the factory, but it is a crappy aluminum 44 with little to no aftermarket support.

So with that said, who has gotten the Super 35 and what is it holding up to in the way of tires, lockers, and gears???
Troy

I'd pay the money for the truss since you already have the Super 35. You can get a friend to help you drive the axle over once you remove it or you could even rent a u-haul regular pickup for $20 or something like that. If you hadn't already put in the Super 35 I'd recommend against it, but unless you're just going to sell it and eat it, beef up the housing and make it last, don't just let the housing bend and break it.

So with that said, who has gotten the Super 35 and what is it holding up to in the way of tires, lockers, and gears???
Troy[/QUOTE]

Super 35...locker Yes...33s...4.88...Truss...Hard Core....

Andy

Porch Puppy said:
Troy

Super 35...locker Yes...33s...4.88...Truss...Hard Core....

Andy[/QUOTE]

I know you get great ground clearance from the 30/35 combo, just making them hold up especially the 35 can be a problem. The truss was a good mod, especially since you got some $ into the Super 35, got to protect your investment the best you can.
Troy

a guy in my club has a super 35 and 35s and it has held up. of course we dont have the big slick rock like yall here either

Ramsey said:
a guy in my club has a super 35 and 35s and it has held up. of course we dont have the big slick rock like yall here either

My biggest worry out here is that big speedbump at the entrance of the mall

:D

i know what you mean, those one can be a b****

My friend grenaded the detroit in his super 35 setup. The locker's side "gear" broke into pieces while on a moderate obstacle. He doesn't have a heavy foot, hopped it once, and it went.
This was in a tj with 4.56 gears with 35's.
He replaced it with a currie hi-pinion 9" with the ARB. He likes it, but is sort of scheptical on the strength of the currie third member. He's thinking of the true HI9 soon.

Locker Blew, while the shafts were fine................
I think we could put Unimog axles under him now and he'd still think it might
BLOW!!! We should go scratch his long arms one night!!!! :gag:

Back