• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ D44 years?

SNOWBLIND

NAXJA Forum User
i'm looking for a stock D44 out of an xj. anyone know what years or models or packages i should be looking for?
i was hoping to do so some wrecking yard shopping in hopes to find a D44 to build.
thanks

I have a D44 but I'm by no means an expert. From what I know they were in SOME XJs with the towing package from 1987-1989 and had 3.54 gears with the automatic. I'm not sure what manuals had, but I don't think there was any choice in ratio (no 3.73 or 4.10 gears availible as a factory option). Hope this helps.

These XJ44 rears are getting harder and harder to find in good shape and unwheeled.

Look for 87-88s with tow package. Most come 3.54 gears and trac-locs.

They will run you anywhere from 150- 400 depending on if the seller knows what he has. I picked up a low mileage one for $350 drum to drum, maintained and never wheeled it's whole life.

Good luck

usually 87, but they are in the 87-89's and the MJ as well. Don't forget them as they are the most overlooked. Got mine from one and welded the spring plates and shock mounts on.

check www.car-part.com

search for :
Jeep Cherokee (Except Grand Cherokee)
Rear Axle Assy (RWD)
your state

then select Spcr 44 or dana 44 with the gear ratio of your choice that should give you a good idea as to availability...

XJ_ranger said:
check www.car-part.com

search for :
Jeep Cherokee (Except Grand Cherokee)
Rear Axle Assy (RWD)
your state

then select Spcr 44 or dana 44 with the gear ratio of your choice that should give you a good idea as to availability...
Maybe.

A couple of years ago a friend called me up all excited because he had found TWO XJ D44s in a yard in upstate NY. Price was good and I had a few extra bucks at the time, so I agreed to take one, we told the yard we were coming up and to have 'em pulled and ready for us. We hooked up my trailer and trekked off to collect our prizes.

Three or four hours later we get to the yard. Have to pay first before they allow us around the side to even look at what we bought (???). Okay. All paid for, take receipts and trailer around to the loading dock and find ... two XJ D35s.

Go back inside, tell the rocket scientist there's a problem, and his answer was "Well, the computer says they're Dana 44s."

Junkyards may say they know whats under there but many times they dont, you just have to get out there and crawl under them yourself.
I bought a D44 about 4 years ago from a yard. I was there for another item and just happen to notice it. I asked them to remove it and I would be back in an hour with cash. When I got back, they had a D35 sitting there. I said I didnt want it followed by a short agruement about how I cost them labor hours. They told me that they took an axle from a newer, lower mileage XJ and it was exactly the same so I should be happy. I made them cut the D44 out of the vehicle and showed them the difference. They didnt have much to say after that except $250, thank you very much.

You might think about a ford explorer 8.8... 30% stronger than the 44, rear disk brakes, perfect width for the xj and parts abound in the aftermarket for gears and lockers

Don't give the search just yet. At my local U-Pull-It junk yard I have found 2 xj Dana 44's in the last year. All axles are $90.00 each. :) Dana 44, 60, Ford 8.8 or 9.0, they don't care.

Digger87xj said:
You might think about a ford explorer 8.8... 30% stronger than the 44, rear disk brakes, perfect width for the xj and parts abound in the aftermarket for gears and lockers

digger,
do you have any specs on the 8.8? such as wms to wms, what years to look for & what vehicles, any links to articles on the swap?
the option of the 8.8 swap is a possibility, it just seemed the d44 would be much more of a "no brainer" and would still be an improvement.
thanks

SNOWBLIND said:
digger,
do you have any specs on the 8.8? such as wms to wms, what years to look for & what vehicles, any links to articles on the swap?
the option of the 8.8 swap is a possibility, it just seemed the d44 would be much more of a "no brainer" and would still be an improvement.
The 8.8 has been covered extensively in the Modified forum; it's about 1.5" narrower than the stock XJ axles, and is found under the Explorer family of vehicles. There should be several usable search terms in that previous sentence.

Don't pass up a 97'+ 8.25 either if you can get it really cheap (29 spline to dana 44s 30 spline), but 1st look for the xj 44.

Back