• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radios

If you are looking at one of those from the guy off ebay call him and ask, you may need an adapter for the wiring. I'm ordering 3 of the am/fm/cass/cd's from him...

Yes, they will work, but you have to do a couple of things:
1. make a small adapter plate between one of the mounting tabs and the corresponding holes in the instrument panel
2. trim the back side of the center instrument panel escutcheon on the back side to fit the radiused ends of the radio faceplate.

It did this on mine, and it fits great.

AZ, do you know if the newer ones have more power than the older ones?

I want to do this for three reasons:

1. Keep the stock look to combat theft.
2. Newer deck with CD changer controls can be adapted for an auxilliary input, like satellite radio.
3. RDS...I like seeing the text from various radio stations that have this capability.

If I could have all this, plus a little extra power, that would be just peachy!!

Any wiring differences?

I don't think they put out any significant increase in power. The radio was totally plug-compatible, in that the existing wiring harness in my 2000 XJ plugged right into the "round faced" radio from a later Chryco product.

Just because the plugs are the same does not mean the pinouts are...

Chrysler used both style in 01 I know for shure. Might have in 00 too.While I'm not trying to make this the "for sale fourm". I have a radio/cd /tape/3 band eq that came from my 2000 xj I could part with. If you are intested pm me.

scoobyxj said:
Chrysler used both style in 01 I know for shure. Might have in 00 too.While I'm not trying to make this the "for sale fourm". I have a radio/cd /tape/3 band eq that came from my 2000 xj I could part with. If you are intested pm me.

I have 3 of them, want the dual cd/tape for it's flexability... we listen to alot of book tapes, some on cd some on cass. I'm not a big audio nut myself... don't want any extra plug in stuff either.

RichP said:
Just because the plugs are the same does not mean the pinouts are...

Sure they are!

AFAIK, every Chrysler product with the two-plug (grey and black) wiring is completely compatible....... from 1974(?) to present.

HOWEVER, Chrysler is now in the midst of a changeover to a new wiring scheme with a single multi-pin (21?) plug. Won't affect XJ's directly, but some late-model Chrysler radios are no longer compatible with the longtime standard. The "double-oval face" radios fall into an either-or category. And some cars (like the PT cruiser) can be either way, depending on when they were made.

Kinda sucks.

Den

When I upgraded the radio in my grand cherokee I found several different mounting configurations. I would suggest you pull your dash off and look before ordering :idea:

Back