• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Swap for Pre 91 XJ's?

napa90xj

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I searched and didn't find anything. I keep seeing all these posts about junkyard alternator swaps for the post 91's, like the 136 amp. Are there any similar swaps for the pre 91's? I am under the impression it's a "GM" style alternator. I assume that would be a starting point when looking. Has anyone found one that would be relatively common in junkyards? I just can't justify spending $300 + for a mean green or something like that. Thanks for any help! :D

Neil

Trying to not be rude...but use the search function....the Alt thing has been discussed to death...

Yeah, sorry about that. As I said above, I did try searching, and I found a bunch of threads for the 91+ models, but nothing for the pre 91's... I'll just keep searching...

With 3 RENIX XJ's in the driveway, I know I've kicked this one around pretty good....

It's a Delco CS-130, and that's pretty much any late GM vehicle without a "special" package like Police or Taxi. IIRC, they're available in most parts houses up to about 120-130A off the shelf.

Also, if you have a local shop that handles rewinds and customs, you can boost that some more. If you don't have a shop, I can give you my shop's addy - he does all mine and does very good work - I met him while I was an industrial mechanic. The Delcos in my XJ's are good for a minimum of 150A, and still give good charging off-idle.

Even with all the custom mail-order houses out there, I will still go on record as saying that the BEST thing you can do for a lot of this "custom" or "upgrade" stuff is to find a local shop and build a good relationship with them - you can get better parts, and I will nearly guarantee better prices!

5-90

What vehicals do these CS-130s come in? I want to look for a used one to put in.

I've been looking around for a bolt in hi output replacement similar to the 136amp ones that the 91 and up guys put in but can't find one.

Someone in a thread mentioned one out of a 96 CAPRICE but the mounting tabs are at different positions. It is a 140 amp though and cheap on the used market so it would be pefect.

I'm wondering if you could just change the front of the case for one off the XJ and it would fit? It might be larger around though.

Back