• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

130 Amp Alternator

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm pretty sure the alternator in my '91 went up last night. Check engine light came on and my voltage gauge dropped to a hair above the red zone. With the 4.0 running at idle, a DVM on the battery terminals yeilds a reading of 11.98 V. Time for some new parts..... :(

My XJ is came equipped from the factory with a 130 Amp alternator. So far, I'm not having much luck locating one. Every place I check lists only 90 Amp units. Does anyone have any advice on where I can get the 130?

Thanks.

gw204 said:
Well, I'm pretty sure the alternator in my '91 went up last night. Check engine light came on and my voltage gauge dropped to a hair above the red zone. With the 4.0 running at idle, a DVM on the battery terminals yeilds a reading of 11.98 V. Time for some new parts..... :(

My XJ is came equipped from the factory with a 130 Amp alternator. So far, I'm not having much luck locating one. Every place I check lists only 90 Amp units. Does anyone have any advice on where I can get the 130?

Thanks.

actually its 136 amp, and in your 91 someone else put it in there for you.

for the 136 amp tell them you need it for a 96 grand cherokee 4.0. In that application they offered a 117, and 136 amp.

I guess I'm misinterpreting my build sheet then. Got it from my Dodge dealership earlier this week. The first section is entitled "standard equipment" and the second is "optional equipment". I was thinking the first section was exactly what it meant...what came standard....and the second was options installed.

But now that I look at it more closely, the second section contains some items that I do not have, such as power mirrors, 9 additional gallons of gas, etc. This is where the 130 Amp Alternator is listed.

I'm confused......

The first secion lists tinted front and rear door glass, rear qtr. and liftgate glass. Unless the tint is ever so slight that I can't notice it, there ain't no tint on that thing. :dunno:

Maybe my "build sheet", really isn't a build sheet after all.

gw204 said:
I guess I'm misinterpreting my build sheet then. Got it from my Dodge dealership earlier this week. The first section is entitled "standard equipment" and the second is "optional equipment". I was thinking the first section was exactly what it meant...what came standard....and the second was options installed.

But now that I look at it more closely, the second section contains some items that I do not have, such as power mirrors, 9 additional gallons of gas, etc. This is where the 130 Amp Alternator is listed.

I'm confused......

The first secion lists tinted front and rear door glass, rear qtr. and liftgate glass. Unless the tint is ever so slight that I can't notice it, there ain't no tint on that thing. :dunno:

if you can barely see your reflection in the glass...its tinted. There is usually a code near where they mark it on the bottom.

I lost the alternator on my '89 XJ a couple of weeks ago. Mine was 100 A...figured that out by taking it off of the vehicle...looking at the rating that's stamped into the front ring of the alternator. Found a rebuilt one at NAPA with a 3-year warranty for about $109 with exchange.

I got a bit tired of having the 4 Hella Jumbo 220s on my roof and the Cibie Super Oscars on my front bumper (as well as my stereo) killing my alternators, so I was very happy when I found a great guy on eBay who sells hi-amp alternators at great prices. Got a 200 amp for my '87 XJ with a one year warranty for $141.95....shipped. Pretty much, just email him and tell him what application you need one for and he'll tell you which of his currently running auctions are for an equivalent model to the one you're needing (mainly for pricing), and when you win the auction he'll send you exactly what you need. Very nice, very helpful. His eBay seller name is "dbelectrical", and he also sells normal-amp alternators at very good prices.

Honestly, the 200 amp one I received from him looked like I bought it at a dealer. Check out his auctions if you haven't already replaced your bum alt.

Pyro

The ZJ alternators are 90 and 117 amp for 4.0s. The 5.2 has the 136amp and 5.9 150amp.

The 136 amp from the 5.2 Jeep/Dodge uses the same mounts as the 4.0 alternators.

red91inWA said:
actually its 136 amp, and in your 91 someone else put it in there for you.

for the 136 amp tell them you need it for a 96 grand cherokee 4.0. In that application they offered a 117, and 136 amp.

PyroZona said:
I got a bit tired of having the 4 Hella Jumbo 220s on my roof and the Cibie Super Oscars on my front bumper (as well as my stereo) killing my alternators, so I was very happy when I found a great guy on eBay who sells hi-amp alternators at great prices. Got a 200 amp for my '87 XJ with a one year warranty for $141.95....shipped. Pretty much, just email him and tell him what application you need one for and he'll tell you which of his currently running auctions are for an equivalent model to the one you're needing (mainly for pricing), and when you win the auction he'll send you exactly what you need. Very nice, very helpful. His eBay seller name is "dbelectrical", and he also sells normal-amp alternators at very good prices.

Honestly, the 200 amp one I received from him looked like I bought it at a dealer. Check out his auctions if you haven't already replaced your bum alt.

Pyro

not to hijack this bad boy....but wouldnt a 200 amp alt be bad for the wiring???....i mean you are talking another 30-110 amps extra than other alt....just wondering about how that would work and if its really that safe?.......just my .02

Well, ok...I did upgrade all the wiring in my charging circuit to 4 gauge and added a 100 amp fuse. :lecture:

Pyro

jeepinairman said:
not to hijack this bad boy....but wouldnt a 200 amp alt be bad for the wiring???....i mean you are talking another 30-110 amps extra than other alt....just wondering about how that would work and if its really that safe?.......just my .02
Car electricity is just like that for the home--only what is drawn is produced/used. There is nothing wrong with having the potential for more.

Timber said:
Car electricity is just like that for the home--only what is drawn is produced/used. There is nothing wrong with having the potential for more.

true true......forgot about that....lol

so to further jack this thread.........when an alternater is rated at lets say 130 ....this means it can take up to a 130a draw correct???....doesnt ness. mean that it PRODUCES that many.....right????...right?..lol

gw204 said:

I'm confused......

Build sheets are often wrong, the one for my old '90 XJ said it came stock with a 4.7L V8. :rolleyes:

Back