• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compressed air Bottle mounting locations?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know that some of you have on board air in your rigs, I am thinking about running this in mine but I was wondering where you mounted the bottle. Pictures and suggestions for locations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

Maybe you don't even need one. I just ran a little test with my portable air tank. It's about a 2 gallon size and holds enough air to refill a 9.50X30 from 10 psi back up to about 24 psi. I think you'd need at least a 10 gallon tank to make it worthwhile then the tank would take up a lot of room. I know lots of folks like to install tanks, but I'm not sure it's really worthwhile.

Yeah that's what I was planning on installing was a 10. It would make it a lot easier for my friends and I when we go wheeling. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

THanks,
Jamie

btl_fed_xj,

Hey, I have a killer on board air set up that I will try to send you some pics of. It uses my air conditioner compressor and has a cut off valve with a pressure switch just in case it needs to blow off some pressure. It holds 160 pounds of pressure and can air up my 36's with no problem. It's mounted in the rear drivers side against the wall / fender. Looks nice and is out of the way! I have a stretch air hose that can reach all four tires from the rear of my XJ. It can also run air tools as well!! Hopefully I can give you a good idea!

Wombat.

That sounds like a sweet set up, I can't wait to see the pictures. I have a couple projects that are in progress on my XJ right now but you can never have too many.

Thanks,
Jamie

Hey guys, check out our website, and I will try to get some pics of Wombat's air setup on there in a couple of days. Haven't had a chance. It works killer!!!

http://www.wnccustomjeeps.com

Hey Wombat, can you shoot my those pics as well... I am looking into this project too. Thanks

I've got the York on board air setup on my 96. I kept the factory a/c and installed the york next to it and moved my battery to the back of the XJ. I also installed (i think) around 7 gallon tank in the rear. You can check it out at grapeape.myjeeppage.com

I ran some air hose to that cutout in the cargo area and capped it with a tool quick connector. I strap a 9 gal tank into the cargo area and connect it to the system with the tool connector anytime I think I'll need it. This way it's not taking up room when I don't need it.

Do you have any pictures?

If you have some pictures of that set up I would love to see them.

Thanks,
Jamie

A 20 cubic foot nitrogen cylinder with a nipple adapter and a 140psi NOS regulator works good too...add a cool yellow curly hose and a quick connect for the air chuck...better yet but more expensive... a scuba tank set-up...any dive shop can sell ya the pieces...and in most places if you sign a release that you are using it as an air source..you can refill it without a scuba liscense. That will last quite a while..Nitrous will work in an emergency...but it expands a LOT as it warms up...

MudDawg said:
A 20 cubic foot nitrogen cylinder with a nipple adapter and a 140psi NOS regulator works good too...add a cool yellow curly hose and a quick connect for the air chuck...better yet but more expensive... a scuba tank set-up...any dive shop can sell ya the pieces...and in most places if you sign a release that you are using it as an air source..you can refill it without a scuba liscense. That will last quite a while..Nitrous will work in an emergency...but it expands a LOT as it warms up...

Scuba gear isnt worth it. The wall of the tank is very thick to withstand the pressure when diving. You can get a better cylinder that holds more for cheaper.

Now do you mean nitrogen, nitrous oxide, the company NOS or what?

The good thing about nitrogen, is that there are no pressure fluctuations with the temperature, but it is very expensive when compared to air and CO2. I think that is correct...

Fergie

Back