• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are DB hard to install ?

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
i had a question, i have a 3 inch BDS kit with daystar 1.75 coil spacer, and rear shackle giving me roughly 4.5 - 4.75 of lift. origionally i had stock LCA's but now i have the RE fixed ones for the 3 inch lift. im eventually looking to go to 6.5 . i already have 4.5 rear leafs in my garage, and all im waiting for is my front 4.5 coil springs, im just gonna take my 3's off and put in the 4.5's with BB. this would give me around 6.5 or so. but anyway i was wondering if i could use my RE control arms made for 3 inch lift on my Drop brackets with the 6.5.

are drop brackets hard to install? you have to drill right ? where to they bolt to ? and do i NEED that reinfocement bracket that comes with it for another 80 dollars ? thanks alot everyone.

generalleexj said:
i had a question, i have a 3 inch BDS kit with daystar 1.75 coil spacer, and rear shackle giving me roughly 4.5 - 4.75 of lift. origionally i had stock LCA's but now i have the RE fixed ones for the 3 inch lift. im eventually looking to go to 6.5 . i already have 4.5 rear leafs in my garage, and all im waiting for is my front 4.5 coil springs, im just gonna take my 3's off and put in the 4.5's with BB. this would give me around 6.5 or so. but anyway i was wondering if i could use my RE control arms made for 3 inch lift on my Drop brackets with the 6.5.

are drop brackets hard to install? you have to drill right ? where to they bolt to ? and do i NEED that reinfocement bracket that comes with it for another 80 dollars ? thanks alot everyone.

You can use the CAs, whether you axle will be in the correct position is another question..

The DBs arent hard to install, and I had a tweaked unibody. You need a LONG .5" drill, I used a 14" long bit as you need to drill the UCA mount out, all the way through.

http://www.yuccaman.com/

The site above has some decent pictures as to where they bolt to. And yes, you do need the brace. Too much levergae and forces on an extended piece like that and you can say bye to it when it hits a rock.

Fergie

The 1/2" drill bit was really the pisser in that whole install, and it may not really be needed. I chose to go with RE-sized pieces though just to keep the install rolling along.

A direct link to the DB install writeup is http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html If the Jeep has seen a lot of wheeling, the DBs will be more of a pain to install because the frame loosens up. Make sure you've got a bolt and nut on everything before you tighten any of it or you'll pull something outta whack.

I am really debating installing these too. I put on a 3.5" RE SF kit and am not very happy with how harsh the ride is on the road which is where most of miles are put on. I have the fixed RE SF LCAs and stock UCAs, am I going to need to get aftermarket UCAs if I go with DBs? I have a bit of front driveshaft vibes when in 4WD now, and I worried about the stress this is putting on my TC...will DBs affect the front pinion angle much? Will I be able to adjust the pinion angle at all with the DBs and my current CAs?

The arms you have now are the same onesw that come with the DBs in the RE 5.5" kit.

I would no recommend the DBs with only 3.5" of lift. If you go higher, then I'd go with them. I'm at 4" right now and my UCA and LCAs have a slight upward slope to them, both sets are Tera adj.

However, with the DBs and OME lfit components, my XJ rides like a Caddy.

You will want adjustable arms with the DBs so you can dial everything in, but the stock ones will fit.

Fergie

My TrailMaster DB's (a veritable duplicate of the RE's but without needing to drill the holes out larger) work perfectly at 4" of lift with RE Super Ride fixed arms.

They have the slightest amount of forward/up angle on the bottom arms.

I had the braces built and welded into place instead of using the ones available on the retail market. So far so good. Aside from hanging on some of the bigger obstacles on the Rubicon this summer, they did really well and made the drive down and back from Washington tolerable.

Fergie said:
The arms you have now are the same onesw that come with the DBs in the RE 5.5" kit.

I would no recommend the DBs with only 3.5" of lift. If you go higher, then I'd go with them. I'm at 4" right now and my UCA and LCAs have a slight upward slope to them, both sets are Tera adj.

However, with the DBs and OME lfit components, my XJ rides like a Caddy.

You will want adjustable arms with the DBs so you can dial everything in, but the stock ones will fit.

Fergie

My LCAs as you can sort of see in this picture are pretty angled...I have a 3.5" lift but in reality it is more like 4.5"
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/649000-649999/649621_1_full.jpg

Measure your lift this way:

Measure from the axle tube to the frame rail. Take that number and subtract 6.75 and that resulting number is your lift height.

Once you have your lift height, then decide if the DBs are going to work.

Nice looking XJ by the way.

Fergie

Back