• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor mount broke ! help

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
well the other day i was messin around looking at things in my engine and i noticed a broken bolt on my motor mount. i checked my other one and its ok
but what should i do about this one? how would i manage to get that out ? and if i let it sit like that for a little while could it hurt anything or damage anything? please let me know any ideas or information, thanks.

Which bolt is broken? One that is part of the motor mount? If so, just replace the mount with a new one.

You def. dont want to run around with a broken mount. Little more info, ie which bolt broke.

Seen this a few times. I'm guessing lower bolt? In any case for a short while(not to worry everybody) during production, they were installing bolts that bottomed in the hole at about the same time as they contacted the mount. The bolt fatigues and breaks off usually pretty flush w/ the block. Support the engine, remove the rest of the bolts and mount. Drill and remove whats left of the bolt. Usually it isn't too bad.

Brian

well if your stading in front of my jeep looking at it, its the mount on the left of the engine, and its the bolt on the left of the mount, mounting to the body. hope that helps. does that bolt come out the bottom , im sorry if i dont understand

I couldnt tell if you said that the motor came loose from the mount or not, but if it did, check to make sure the distributor is ok. I have broken many motor mount bolts on that same side. Almost every time it happend the motor fell over and the motor mount took a chunk out of the distributor. I replaced the whole mount setup with something much sturdier, much better bolts too!

Right side motor mount, lower rear bolt into engine is what I usually saw broken. Are you talking about bolts into engine block or bolts into the body structure? The first is what I have seen alot of, but the other could happen too, of course. The bolt could have been broken for a long time or not. But usually the end result, which is what I usually saw is the rest of the bolts break, the engine falls and tears up the fan shroud, dist. whacked, etc.. Regardless of which bolt broke, the fix is as I described. If not then the above WILL eventually happen. If its the bolt into the body, the mount has one stud thats part of the mount and is attached to the body w/ a nut, and a hole that recieves a bolt to attach the other side to the body. If the studs broken, replace the mount. If the bolt is broke off in the body, drill and remove broken piece. This can be a challenge, so good luck.

Brian

Last edited:
Mine just complete broke now I have the 3 broken bolts in the engine block same side (passenger), Yesterday I Replace the lower one but there's no space for drilling so I am planning to lower the engine as much as posible to reach the othe two broken bolts, any coments welcome!

I just bought my XJ and drove it home after I put a harmonic balancer and fuel pump in it to get it running and as I drove it sounded like a midget was running along beating the bottom of the jeep with a hammer and it turns out that not one mount in the jeep was connected. The rubber was ripped apart on every mount. I could push the motor from one side to the other freely. But it still made it home LOL. :)

Back