• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need 297 swap guru's ASAP

pro-rallye

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a '91 with the vaccum disconnect and my u-joint exploded, so i decided to upgrade to the 297 shafts. i got a set out of a 97 tj but am having trouble finding a inner axle seal for the passenger side. i looked on madxj for info, but it's not workin out. all of the seals that i have found at shops have od of either 2.131 or 2.286 or very close to which is way bigger than the ~1.98 that i need? what am i missing here? any ideas? please help...thanks,

richie

From what I hear you just need a plate to close up the disco part with the fork. I was having problems with my disco dana 30 on Fordyce and I opened the disco fork area plate held on my 4 bolts and used a huge zip tie to hold the collar on the axle shaft to lock it in place to give me 4 wheel drive. This only lasted a few miles or so and I needed to be strapped off the trail the rest of the way. As long as you get or make a plate to seal up the square area of the disco, you should be able to run those non disco 297 shafts without problems. It is a nice upgrade to go up to 297/760 joints and non disco shafts. The vacuum is a real problem and is very tempermental. You might also want to disconnect the wiring from the axle housing and t-case. Now when you shift into 4 wheel drive you know you will be in 4 wheel and not have to rely on that crappy vacuum shifting the collar over to lock the axles together. That's all I can tell you. I don't know about diff measurements between the diameter of the shafts from non disco to disco.
Troy

Big Red said:
From what I hear you just need a plate to close up the disco part with the fork. I was having problems with my disco dana 30 on Fordyce and I opened the disco fork area plate held on my 4 bolts and used a huge zip tie to hold the collar on the axle shaft to lock it in place to give me 4 wheel drive. This only lasted a few miles or so and I needed to be strapped off the trail the rest of the way. As long as you get or make a plate to seal up the square area of the disco, you should be able to run those non disco 297 shafts without problems. It is a nice upgrade to go up to 297/760 joints and non disco shafts. The vacuum is a real problem and is very tempermental. You might also want to disconnect the wiring from the axle housing and t-case. Now when you shift into 4 wheel drive you know you will be in 4 wheel and not have to rely on that crappy vacuum shifting the collar over to lock the axles together. That's all I can tell you. I don't know about diff measurements between the diameter of the shafts from non disco to disco.
Troy

That wont work,theres no seal surface out there on a non-disco axle!You have to get the adapter seal from someone like Randy's R+P!

You need to find the 86' D30 CJ seal. It's a direct fit and it comes in the kit mentioned from Randy's R&P. The best way to do it would be to get the kit for about $30, but if your in a pinch you should be able to get it locally.

Search with my name and D30 axle seal. Scroll through the messages to find the part number.

PM me if you get lost.

allright, so let me get this straight. i can make the new tj passenger side axle work in place of the vac-disconnect axle if i get the randy's r&p adapter. this moves the seal to where the drivers side seal is. (but opposite side) thanks for your help.

richie

Back