• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 6" lift

4x4forlife

NAXJA Forum User
aight guys stupid question. i got a np 242 in my 88 xj and just put in a full traction 6" lift. it says with the np231 i would need a SYE and a driveshaft. does this mean that with the np 242 i dont need any of this or do i still need a driveshaft made?? any advise is accepted

thanks

Depends on if you have any driveline vibs or not. If so, you could go with a small transfer case drop but this is just a band aid fix and you should start saving up for an SYE and new driveshaft to correct the angles. As of now, the only option for the 242 TC is a RE Hack N Tap SYE, or the Tom Woods one which is just a 242 output shaft that is already "hacked and tapped". I'm at a little over 4in on my 89 with a 242 and have vibs already. When I go higher I will be picking up the RE Sye. There is a ton of information on this out there, just do some searching.

You'll need a SYE. I have a 242 and I'm at 7" with the RE hack and tap. Its a good kit for most people. Take your time with the install and it works nicely.

--Matt

IntrepidXJ said:
i needed an SYE at around 5.5" with my 242. i went with the tom woods sye and driveshaft

I with you on this one, the hack&tap lasted about 1 year. After spendind way too much money on new flanges and rebuilt flanged CV driveshafts. Finally, call Tom Woods and got their yoke style output SYE for the 242. Granted its a stock main shaft, but tom shortens it and resplines it, shorter than a H&T. This way I could also run my front shaft on the rear, if I had too. If you got the money, just call Tom Woods, and never look back.

Well I know this sounds crazy but...I still use the slip yoke,I have about 10" lift.I do have a Currie High Pinion so that helps driveline angle alot.I have never had a problem with it so I have never changed it.

Back