• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 parking brake issues

mission-inc

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having parking brake issues with my ford 8.8. I installed the 8.8 today and everything seems to be fine except the parking brakes. I'm using my cables from the old 8.25 because the cables that came with the 8.8 were way too long, and I didn't want to try to cut them without knowing what I was doing.

Anyway, everything bolted up right and by the looks of it seems fine. When I pulled the parking brake to test it for the first time it felt normal. I tried moving the wheels and they both moved pretty freely. I released the brake and checked the Y connector. The cables seem to have more slack in them so I tighted the Y connector so more. I pulled the brake again and this time it felt tighter. I tried moving the wheels and they still moved, but there was alittle more resistance. Released the brake and checked the Y connector again. The cables seemed to have alittle more slack in them, but I decided to leave them because I didn't wanna play with it till it broke.

I *think* the problem is the springs that are on the axle end of the cables. I think the springs are limiting the cables because when I looked at them after the second time I pulled the brake, the spring was completly compressed.

Does anyone have pictures of their 8.8 parking brake set-up? I'd really appreciate seeing some successful set-ups. Websites, information, etc. is also welcome.

I'll try to get some pictures up to show what I'm talking about.

Have you adjusted the shoes yet?

I have not adjusted the shoes, I didn't know they could be adjusted. Do you know how to adjust the shoes, or know of a place where I could find out?

Thanks for the link ranger.

They have the same star adjuster as most all drum brakes!Didnt you rebuild them before installing?

Back