• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jammed Grease Fittings

4xBob

NAXJA Forum User
I have no problems with standard zerk fittings (grease nipples), but the recessed type that fill with the blunt needle on my front axle shafts and double-cardan joint won't accept grease. It just won't go in, at all the pressure I can raise with a hand-pumped grease gun. Loosening the fitting by unscrewing it a bit doesn't help. I thnk the fitting is OK, I suspect plugged up grease galleys in the u-joint cross. Same thing on my daughter's XJ too. Has anybody found a way to get these back to working order?

I´ve carefully poked in the opening with a striaghtened paper clip. The balls jam/rust solid on occasion.
I found a brass screw with the same threads as the flush type Zirks, drilled through the center and soldered a standard zirk on th end of my homemade adaptor. Don´t even bother with the needle zirks anymore, just screw them out and put my adaptor in. Only grease them once a year anyway.
Got to be talented to drill through the center of the screw.

I always seem to have problems too... to be totally sure I usually pull the driveline & MAKE SURE ! its lubed, this way I can get access to all 3 zerks.
A ice pick should loosen up the ball in the zerk. Out here in the desert once
a year won't get it...... several times a year.
Good Luck !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I find it easier just to remove the blunt flush-style zerk, press the rubber tip of the grease gun fitting tight against the zerk hole, fill the u-joints, then replace the zerk. A whole lot easier....

Ivan

Back