• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Routine tune-up w/O2 sensor?

mudpuddle

NAXJA Forum User
I read a post a while back that recommended an O2 sensor replacement as part of a routine tune-up. At over $100 a pop, I can't see the justification.
For an '01 with 80K getting 16mph in the city, why would you want to?

mudpuddle said:
I read a post a while back that recommended an O2 sensor replacement as part of a routine tune-up.......

You read this on NAXJA ?

Maybe as part of scheduled maintenance, which is something like every 80K.

Last edited:
Heck, I didn't replace mine till 160,000 miles,and it always ran great and got excellent miledge. The O2 sensor doesn't make that much of a difference. Leave it alone till at least 120,000 miles, or the check engine light comes on. Even when the light comes on, you can still drive with no drop in performance or economy.

The reted life of a HEGO sensor is usually 50-65Kmiles, but getting over 100K isn't unheard of. I'll run them up to about 150K before replacement becomes a key issue to me.

The principal reason for replacement is carbon contamination - caused by running rich or just getting a lot of use. Since there is no tetraethyl lead in fuel anymore, the old "lead plating" problem has since become a non-issue.

5-90

Lou said:
You read this on NAXJA ?

Maybe as part of scheduled maintenance, which is something like every 80K.

Yippers on NAXJA, it was a post about getting poor gas mileage and someone recommended changing the sensor as a part of routine tune-ups. I don't think so...

I think that is a common lie. The O2 sensor won't affect gas miledge that much. XJ's are already bad on gas anyway, it mostly depends on driving style and tire size.

I'm at 250,000 on my 98, still on original sensors, just never got around to replaceing them. TPS is getting a bit cranky though, can feel one or two hesitation areas on it when it's cold but after it warms up seems ok. As for the O2 sensor I was going to do both when my milage got down to 17 but while fixing a front flat noticed my tire pressure was down below 30psi, used shop air to get them up to 40psi and my milage came back to 22-23.
A bad O2 can cause bad milage by makeing the system run too rich, this has a cascading effect by makeing the cat do more work and burn up more unburned fuel which in turn can melt or break it down internally, then you really have problems with really high back pressure.
I think mine have lasted as long as they have because I do yearly tune ups that consist of OEM plugs, cap, rotor and wires. I also make the engine work every once in a while on back roads in 3rd gear which I think cleans out alot of carbon, run a can of Chevron Techron thru it every 10K or so and the yearly 3M injector cleaning where I put a can of 3m cleaner/fuel thru the engine with the fuel pump fuse removed and the fuel supply line disconnected.
All that said I'll be expecting a CEL tomorrow.....then I can use my new scanner which by the way found the bad TPS on my sons TJ....

Back