• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shimms?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Lifting my stock xj to a 3.5" RE tomorrow...cant wait...work is dragging by here today b/c i'm going to start the project when i get home tonight. One thing is bothering me though...someone said i would still need axle shimms even after i get an AA SYE and tom woods d/s. Is this true???

depending on the year of your jeep. 95 and older are less prone to having driveline vibes, but you still can have them. i've got a 95 and put the re 3.5" sf kit w/ full leaf spring pack and it netted me almost 6". i'm now around 5". i got an AA SYE kit and a Tom Woods shaft and still had to use shims. also, the 8.25 seem to be more likely to get vibes too.

did the shimms take care of your vibes? Thats the same kit that i have...RE 3.5 SF w/ the aa sye and tw d/s. (and i have an 00 xj w/ the 8.25

sure did. when you get it all together take some driveline angle measurements to find out what degree shims you need, if any. with the sye kit, your pinion should be 1* - 2* less than your driveshaft to accommodate any axle wrap. just noticed you said you have a '00, so you more than likely will have to get some shims. make sure you get steel shims and not aluminum shims. they have a tendency to bend and possibly crack over time.

Last edited:
If your gonna get shims I have to recommend the RE shims, they bolt to the spring pack with a new center pin, this allows the center pin to engage in the perch properly.

I have a 97, same exact lift. I started out with a 4 or 6 degree, can't remember, but it works great.

Dirk at DPG knows his stuff, and he sold me my stuff, I just bolted it all on.

Jason

Back