• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj swerves w/ gas

tgissel

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee w/ Rusty's Upper & Lower adjustable control arms, skyjacker adjustable track bar, skyjacker 8" coils, zj pitman arm, rancho rs5000 shocks. The jeep now likes to change lanes with heavy acceleration, I have adjusted the track bar to the axle is centered under the body, and my driveline angle looks to be good(roughly 18 degrees). the steering wheel is centered. There are no sway bars on the vehicle, but there has not been for over 3 yrs. had a 5" lift previously, and had no handling problems. What gives??

I've seen this happen when a rear locker sticks or breaks.
Something to look at... :wave:

does not have a locker. Does it pretty bad from a standstill, and then w/ each gear(5spd.) change on the road. Thanks

I the wheelbase equal on both sides? If the pin breaks on the spring and the rear axle moves on one side...?
Measure the distance between the front and rear wheels on both sides.
A sticking brake drum or caliper is the other thing that comes to mind.
HTH.

Wheelbase measures the same on both sides, trying to adjust the toe-in on the front axle. Thinking that might be the culprit. Thanks

Check the alignment first.. might take it to a shop to make sure..
could be a tire.. seperated belt possibly.. but that usually will be noticed all the time.. My guess is look at anything that will change angle or such when torque is applied. possibly bump steer type issue only in reverse... when the front suspension is unloaded... $.02

this is deffinitly a rear axle thing. start by checking air pressure, next try swaping the two rear tires. if its a tire it should now pull to the other side.

since you've already checked the rear axle to see if it shifted, the last option is in your diff.

its not your brakes cause if it was it would always pull to the one side.
the steering linkage on a xj only adjusts toe and centers the steering wheel

i've drive'n a xj with 2" of toe in and then with 1" of toe out. it was fun to beat on the schools jeep :eek:)

May sound stupid, but check your engine and cross member mounts. I

Jeep measures an 1/8" of toe-in. Already swapped rear tires around and checked air pressure. Brakes are also possible since I just replaced the rear w/ discs from JGC w/ dana 35 to Chrysler 8.25(mine) from a junkyard vehicle was hit in side, although they seem to work really well. The draglink is a little off from the track bar, I'll check that tomm. Thanks for the help.

What type of steering are you running?Do you have DB's?

I had the same problems with my XJ with 8" lift. I thought it was the locker. But after thinking alittle more about it, I think it was do to axles wrap. It let the axle shift more from the power side bowing the spring more. Just a thought. I havent ran the jeep since swapping the axles and building traction bar. Just my 2 cents

XJ667 said:
I had the same problems with my XJ with 8" lift. I thought it was the locker. But after thinking alittle more about it, I think it was do to axles wrap. It let the axle shift more from the power side bowing the spring more. Just a thought. I havent ran the jeep since swapping the axles and building traction bar. Just my 2 cents
this is waht i think

I just put in a rear locker, does the lane changing thing now. as the torque compresses the passenger spring upon take-off, the wheelbase is temp. lengthened on that side, causing a surge to the left. when i let off the gass, the jeep does the opposite and surges to the right. I know you said you dont have a locker, but... it could be bump steer.

I have the same problem with my 90 (no locker).The rear spring theory is the best I've heard so far.
Anyone have this problem go away with an antiwrap bar in place?

My 87 does this too, but it seems to have just started recently. Ive had my rear locker for 3 years now. Any new ideas or fixes? Thanks.

Mine did this but it's gone with the RK crossover steering and Hd trackbar.

It is bumpsteer!

I have a locker and when it pushes the jeep it feels totally different than bumpsteer.

Park your Jeep and jump up and down on the bumper. The steering wheel will not move if your draglink and trackbar are equal lengths and angles.

When a tall lift unloads the front end on accel, the alignment(toe) changes alot due to the angle where the tierod connects to the draglink.

Sounds like its all steering to me.

Free info...for what its worth.

If its bumpsteer, you can release the steering wheel and it will go fairly straight under accell and decell. The wheel will move all over.
The vertical movement steers the axle. If you hold the wheel tight, You can swerve by braking or accellerating.

My locker makes it feel like the rear axle is trying to overide my steering input and keep the jeep going straight.

Search bumpsteer. There are alot of good explanations of what the track bar and draglink are doing if they are or are not aligned with each other.

This is my third jeep w/bumpsteer. Also the hardest to correct.

Back